What cartridge am I missing?

midwesthunter

Trying to figure out what cartridge I should build or be looking for next. Here is a list of what ones I currently have, all factory unless other wise noted. I know I have a caliber to kill almost anything but wondering if there's that magic one I'm missing.

.17 Rem mag
6MM rem
6.5 x 284 semi custum never shot, built on jap Ariska action, pencil for a barrel
Custom 7mm Rem mag getting set up for long range
308's one set up for long range shooting
30-06
8mm rem mag's
338 lapua

A magnum 30 is an absolute must in any collection.
300WSM
300Win
300Wby
300RUM
All are great choices. & all can fit the bill for most any situation in N. America.
A 338Win, or a 375 of some kind would be tied for my # 2 choice with the cartridges you already own.

A magnum 30 is an absolute must in any collection.
300WSM
300Win
300Wby
300RUM
All are great choices. & all can fit the bill for most any situation in N. America.
A 338Win, or a 375 of some kind would be tied for my # 2 choice with the cartridges you already own.
Last week, I somehow managed to wind up with a .338 WinMag myself.... Local guy had one and the price was too good not to pass up. For what I paid for it, I can always use the magnum action for something else, like a lightweight sporter .257 Wby build, since my Accumark is really heavy to tote around the woods and stalk-hunt with.

Last week, I somehow managed to wind up with a .338 WinMag myself.... Local guy had one and the price was too good not to pass up. For what I paid for it, I can always use the magnum action for something else, like a lightweight sporter .257 Wby build, since my Accumark is really heavy to tote around the woods and stalk-hunt with.
Try that thing (338 win) with a nos ab 225 or hornady 225 and rl19 muddy; she'll sing for you.

To the O.P. winmag took the words out of my pie hole a few posts back. A good 300 mag is dang near a must have.

Try that thing (338 win) with a nos ab 225 or hornady 225 and rl19 muddy; she'll sing for you.

To the O.P. winmag took the words out of my pie hole a few posts back. A good 300 mag is dang near a must have.
It came with 1.5 boxes of ammo. The full box was some "professional" custom handloads from some place called Massaro Ballistics Laboratories, and they are loaded up with 210 Scirocco's. The 1/2 box is some Barnes VOR-TX with some 210 TTSX's. I'm gonna shoot them and see how it shoots. If it seems to be too much overkill for around here (which it does to me), I will rebarrel the action to a more suitable caliber for my liking. Another buddy is good friends with another local smith, who has some 700 5R .300 WinMag barrel take-offs laying around (new). He's supposed to be checking to see what he'll take for one or 2 of them. If not much, then it will become a heavy-barreled 5R .300 WM.

My buddy wants the .338 barrel if I pull it off. The guy I bought the gun from also has a brand new 700 factory 24" stainless fluted 25-06 sporter barrel I'm buying for $50 on Friday. Looks like it's only been test-fired. I plan on having it reamed to .257 Wby Mag for a later build, if I don't put it on this .338 action.

Trying to figure out what cartridge I should build or be looking for next. Here is a list of what ones I currently have, all factory unless other wise noted. I know I have a caliber to kill almost anything but wondering if there's that magic one I'm missing.

.17 Rem mag
6MM rem
6.5 x 284 semi custum never shot, built on jap Ariska action, pencil for a barrel
Custom 7mm Rem mag getting set up for long range
308's one set up for long range shooting
30-06
8mm rem mag's
338 lapua

I would take a different approach because there are dozens of other cartridges and calibers
that would/could equal or better what you have and there would be no reason to change.

First make a list of what you intend to do with your rifles. Plink, hunt varmints, hunt deer size game,
hunt Elk size game, hunt dangerous game, shoot targets mid range, shoot targets Long range, and
hunt at long range.

Once you do this, start at the top of your list and work your way down. You have some cartridges
that will fill these category's just fine.

You also have some cartridges that are redundant and can be filled by one of your other cartridges.

You are definitely lacking in the dangerous game area (To me Dangerous game is anything that would take pleasure in ruining your whole day) because it takes something that will not only kill
them but stop them in there tracks before they have time to administer large doses of revenge
for you shooting them.

For accuracy, almost any cartridge will punch holes in paper as long as it is accurate and will reach the target with enough velocity to remain stable and accurate.

For Hunting, The cartridge must be accurate and deliver enough energy at the distance used and enough velocity to maintain bullet performance.

Also once you have your list of needs apply your favorite rifle for that need and you will probably
end up with several that you will not need. these can be replaced with other rifles that will fill your needs.

Just some advice.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.