Cleaning?

CoachChris

Howdy All, FNG here.

Have a cleaning question. I was taught from young kid to the days when I was sitting on my footlocker at P.I. to always clean my rifles after shooting.

I have read on a few rimfire forums to delay cleaning for as much as 250-500 rds. fired. :confused: What do you guys think of this? Am I doing my .22 a dis-service by being so anal?

Chris

I shot benchrest for a little while. There are many different opinions as to the best cleaning scenario. I never cleaned mine at a match unless it acted out. No copper in the rounds I was shooting. It seems like it would really settle in after 20 or so rounds. I would clean after every 250 or so regardless. I always use a bore guide, butches, and the right size patch. Never had to brush. If I am going to put it in the safe for awhile, I clean it before putting it to bed. If I plan on shooting in the next week or so I would leave it and wipe down the outside. I always clean if the weather is extra humid, or in inclement weather. My bbls look brand new and shoot the same. You have to try awful hard to shoot a .22lr out!

kweidner, Thanks for answering my post.
Made all the difference. light bulb
I resisted cleaning the last two times out. This morning I went out and set up a target in the woods. Fired first 2 rds. off target, they were right on. Fired one on target and then put 6 in the bullseye. I then fired another 46 rds. making groups around the target from various positions. All shots from approx. 50yds. at a 0-5* incline.

Thanks, Chris

No problem. Glad I could help. Every one has their different methods. This happens to work for me. My centerfire routine is significantly different. Honestly centerfire is different from gun to gun due to copper. In some I can go 25 or more with no issues. Some go just 10. My 223 wssm is every 5. You kind of have to get a feel for what the gun wants when you are dealing with copper. More velocity usually indicates more cleaning if it is not a custom bbl.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.