Cleaning rod of choice?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Supertrucker, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Supertrucker

Supertrucker Well-Known Member

What's the best?

I have Dewey and Bore tech. I have to say they are about identical, but I like the large handles on the Bore Tech. What say you?

2. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

I like my Tipton rods, not partial to coated.

3. Supertrucker

Why not coated? I have always read that pure stainless rods can act like a ball peen hammer if/when flexed against the rifling.

4. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

The ones I have are carbon. Heard some of the chemicals can have a bad reaction with coating and every coated frying I have had, the coating started coming off after awhile.

5. Supertrucker

10-4. I use Barnes CR-10 copper solvent and haven't had a problem yet. I've heard TM solution is hard on coated rods.

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

IMO forget the Boretech. The rod coating is thin and will peel. Takes months to get them to replace them.

Go with the Dewey. You can call dewey and have them made up to 60". My last 60" I think was $44 delivered.

I love the deweys.

BH

7. Supertrucker

On both of the rod tips of my Dewey's the feruls (the brass part that is pressed/glued on)is cracking. Can these be replaced?

8. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

I use the Dewey rods,Lucas bore guides and TM Solutions exclusively.
    No problem with the coating, and the TM Solutions is amazing stuff. I have yet to use a bronze brush on a barrel. Only using the TM Solutions and patches, and my barrels look immaculate.

9. VSSF

VSSF Well-Known Member

Love my Pro-Shot's.

10. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

I use a brass rod for my pistol. For 20 years or so I used a wooden rod for my 30 cal rifles, until it cracked a few weeks ago, now I use the shaft of a graphite arrow.

I usually use the rods for the brushes, then use nylon string to pull the patch through.

11. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Nice to keep things on a budget, justgoto. :)

12. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I recently got the Tipton one piece and it is the best rod I have used, the bearing turns with ease and it is rugged. The rod has stayed clean and smooth. Very good investment. I had the coated Dewey and it would inbed junk in the coating and the coating would get tacky with some solvents and the handle was not the best.
    I even got the pistol Tipton rod to use for a chamber and action cleaning I liked it so much.