Cleaning lubrication rifle bolt/firing springs

epags

I think this is in the right forum but feel free to move it LEN.
Question 1: How often do you disassemble your rifle bolt to clean/lubricate it? Annually? When there is a FTF?
Question 2: How often (if ever) do you replace the firing pin spring?
I have three Remington 700s and a couple of Enfields (all which are OLD like me) and I have only disassembled one 700 bolt to check it.
Never replaced a firing pin spring. I have read in another thread that a strong spring and lightened firing pin improved lock time hence possibly better accuracy (less time to move off target)
Your comments and thoughts!

A lot of how often is the firing pin is removed, cleaned, lubed and put back in the bolt is, HOW HARD IS THE FIRING PIN TO REMOVE AND INSTALL. I have 1 Remington 722 and 4 700 rifles. They only get their bolt taken apart once in a while, Like before going on a hunt North or West. I have a Kimber Montana that get its firing pin Removed, Cleaned and Lubed every time the rifle is cleaned. (In the rifle cocked, Put the safety on 1st safety position, Remove bolt from rifle and unscrew the firing pin, Clean, inside bolt, Inspect, Lube and Re-Install Firing Pin. On a 2008 Caribou hunt to Quebec with rain and snow every day, I removed the firing pin and checked it every night. My buddies and the guides in camp could not believe the Kimber's Bolt was so easy to remove the firing pin from the bolt.

If a rifle starts opening its groups with its favorite load, Time to check and replace the firing pin spring.

1. Almost never unless I suspect that grit may have gotten inside.
2. I might have the smith do it if I'm rebarreling and I have a stronger replacement 32 lb vs 24 lb spring. I don't have a tool or jig to compress the spring. I have 7 Remington 700s.

I think this is in the right forum but feel free to move it LEN.
Question 1: How often do you disassemble your rifle bolt to clean/lubricate it? Annually? When there is a FTF?
Question 2: How often (if ever) do you replace the firing pin spring?
I have three Remington 700s and a couple of Enfields (all which are OLD like me) and I have only disassembled one 700 bolt to check it.
Never replaced a firing pin spring. I have read in another thread that a strong spring and lightened firing pin improved lock time hence possibly better accuracy (less time to move off target)
Your comments and thoughts!
There has been some interesting conversations on here about firing pin springs in other threads in here worth looking at if you do a search.
Particularly about the affect over coiled or "snaked" spring on accuracy

I didnt realise it myself but its interesting to look at this one-

Personally unless your having issues with poor striking or accuracy then I would be inclined not to upset the apple cart with pulling things apart unnecessary.

I know a lot of older rifles & particularly say WW2 rifles have sticky bolt spring through so much grease causing poor pin strikes but for any of my modern rifles I just lube throught the ports or access areas with a bit of light machine oil every now & then plus a few drops on the bolt body rubbed in with my finger, thats it.

I've been shooting Rem 700 and 40X rifles for over 40 years, and customs for the last 20 yrs. I bought myself a bolt disassembly tool about a year ago. I pulled all the bolts apart and found virtually nothing that would get my attention. I cleaned them all, lightly lubed and reassembled them. Very surprising how clean and maintenance free all those bolts stayed for decades.

I've been shooting Rem 700 and 40X rifles for over 40 years, and customs for the last 20 yrs. I bought myself a bolt disassembly tool about a year ago. I pulled all the bolts apart and found virtually nothing that would get my attention. I cleaned them all, lightly lubed and reassembled them. Very surprising how clean and maintenance free all those bolts stayed for decades.

They are for the most part fairly well sealed. Remington bolts aren't that hard to disassemble if you have a dime or a cent and something to cock them with. Frankly I've never seen a need to disassemble the firing pin assembly. Just wash it with a bit of solvent like charcoal cleaner and relube it.

There has been some interesting conversations on here about firing pin springs in other threads in here worth looking at if you do a search.
Particularly about the affect over coiled or "snaked" spring on accuracy

I didnt realise it myself but its interesting to look at this one-

Personally unless your having issues with poor striking or accuracy then I would be inclined not to upset the apple cart with pulling things apart unnecessary.

I know a lot of older rifles & particularly say WW2 rifles have sticky bolt spring through so much grease causing poor pin strikes but for any of my modern rifles I just lube throught the ports or access areas with a bit of light machine oil every now & then plus a few drops on the bolt body rubbed in with my finger, thats it.

Not sure if better to reply here or post to the referenced thread, but generally replacement springs from Wolff are direct replacements except for force strength rating so there shouldn't be a problem with "snaking". I would think that a gunsmith wouldn't do it or would consult with the customer about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.