Lubricating a Ceracoted bolt

Dr. Vette

I recently purchased a Weatherby Mark V that has been Ceracoted in black on all metal surfaces. The finish is great, but what I notice compared to my other Mark V's is that there is more friction when working the bolt back and forth. It does slow down the cycling of the bolt compared to how fast I can work the other rifles.

Is there a preferred lubricant to smooth this out, or another method to make it smoother?

Thanks for any tips you may have.

I like to teflon coat the bolts. Same look, superb lubricity.

As things are, I'd use a teflon based, clear, dry lube. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Just run some regular bore oil on the bolt for your range sessions. The more you work the bolt while there is oil on it, the smoother it will get. I always run a bit of lube on the bolt body after a fresh coat of cerakote. It will smooth up over time. Just remember to wipe it down before you take it to the field so it will not attract dirt.

I've had the experience with Cerakoted bolts/actions. It will smooth out over time. I use a little Rem oil with teflon on it.

Thanks guys.

The previous owner had the work done not too many rounds ago, and I suspect that it hasn't been "broken in" at all since that time.

As long as I know that it will improve and that I can go ahead and lube it that helps, at least mentally. :D

With the remingtons and stillers I coat here it seems the best thing to do is keep them dry and clean. Even dry they will work in and as the coating wears clean the "dust" off the bolt and the reciever raceway. When it mixes with grease or oil it gets gummy and sticky.

Yes there is always this problem. There are two routes that I would recommend.

1) cycle your bolt until it smooths out....the wife might get a little annoyed while your cycling during her chick flick.

2) mask off the lugs, lightly blast the cerakote off and then apply NIC's superslick. Its their dry film lube application, and its an air cure application.

That's what I do with my rifles and they turn out super smooth.

I have put a dab of lithium grease on mine, or prayed w/light silicon. Mine has broken in.The lube helps, mine was like silk in the white

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Right now it's lubed with a bit of moly grease (same as for triggers) and it appears I'll just have to work the bolt and practice my dry firing more to break it in. :D

I agree with Coyboy, the ceramic is actually pretty self lubricating and you are most likely just experiencing a lack of clearance situation due to the ceracoat, It will wear in I guarantee. Just keep if clean and dry as you shoot it and you will be OK.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.