Cleaning bolt action

I have all Dewey rods and use Possum Hole Bore guides.

What do you all clean your action and lugs with? I have not done well at cleaning this area.

Thanks all,
Steve
So this is an old trick that not many people use or know about. Fill a tray with gasoline and soak your action in it. If you leave it in there for a few hours it slowly release all the powder, dirt, and whatever particles are in there. You will see them all in the bottom of the try. Let your action air dry, and use your lubricant of choice and reinstall. Works amazing for rifle and shotgun actions.

I have all Dewey rods and use Possum Hole Bore guides.

What do you all clean your action and lugs with? I have not done well at cleaning this area.

Thanks all,
Steve
Call bore tech and get there lug cleaning kit the best product hands down. Don't use WD-40 on your guns. It will gum up fire controls unbelievable. Use a oil for firearms like bore tech sells. There are other good ones. Never WD-40.

My only suggestion is stay away from brake cleaners. First thing to be safe you have to have it outside or well ventilated area, FUMES ARE NASTY AND DEADLY. If you get it on certain plastics, Certain stock paints, or Scope lens coatings, BYE BYE
I have had pistols brought to me that someone had used Brake Cleaner on and it had ate the compound around night sight capsules up and they were gone.

morning, carbon tetchrochoride, sp.---white gas or lantern fuel.
any flammable fluid SHOULD b done in a very well vented
area. do not use WD-40. justme gbot tum

morning, carbon tetchrochoride, sp.---white gas or lantern fuel.
any flammable fluid SHOULD b done in a very well vented
area. do not use WD-40. justme gbot tum

Just a question, not a criticism.

Why not use WD 40 ? It was designed for this type of use and doesn't have any downside for gun parts as far as I know.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

Just a question, not a criticism.

Why not use WD 40 ? It was designed for this type of use and doesn't have any downside for gun parts as far as I know.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM
I have used WD40 for cleaning tough to remove stuff and for getting the water out of Black Powder rifles after cleaning with soap and water, but I would never use it as a lube. It does not stop rust well, it gets gummy when dry and it attracts dust. Spray some on a chunk of flat steel and let it dry a few days. Then put it in a dusty environment and you will see what many of us are talking about. If you check your cars hinges, assuming you lube them with WD40, just have a look at how much dusty residue is clumped onto the lubed area. Now give it a touch and see how tacky it feels. It does not stay slippery. WD40 is designed to displace water, not to be a lubricant. Lots of people use it but there are way better options.

I have used WD40 for cleaning tough to remove stuff and for getting the water out of Black Powder rifles after cleaning with soap and water, but I would never use it as a lube. It does not stop rust well, it gets gummy when dry and it attracts dust. Spray some on a chunk of flat steel and let it dry a few days. Then put it in a dusty environment and you will see what many of us are talking about. If you check your cars hinges, assuming you lube them with WD40, just have a look at how much dusty residue is clumped onto the lubed area. Now give it a touch and see how tacky it feels. It does not stay slippery. WD40 is designed to displace water, not to be a lubricant. Lots of people use it but there are way better options.

I totally agree that it should not be relied on to lubricate and have stated so. It should be used as a cleaning agent as it was designed for. It is a solvent and that's what it should be used for. After cleaning with any solvent, it should be remove and rust or corrosion protection should be used.

As far as collecting dust or grit, Any oil or lubricant will do this. This is the reason that we dry patch a weapon before firing it, To remove the protection and any dust or foreign objects.

Like everything, there is no golden bullet and somethings will not work as well in every situation. and if used wrong can do damage.

This reminds me of the improper use of bore cleaners, they work great if used properly according to the manufactures instructions.
but if they are not used as recommended, they can cause great damage.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
morning, u talk to any good mechanic about WD-40. u will find out why
not to use! I have been aircraft mechanic, lawnmower, 2cycle--4cycle
inspector. have worked of vast amounts of gas, fuel, diesel. jet fuel
and others. WD-40 is flammable. spray on any surface, let dry
run ur finger across the applied area. what do u feel?? justme gbot tum

morning, u talk to any good mechanic about WD-40. u will find out why
not to use! I have been aircraft mechanic, lawnmower, 2cycle--4cycle
inspector. have worked of vast amounts of gas, fuel, diesel. jet fuel
and others. WD-40 is flammable. spray on any surface, let dry
run ur finger across the applied area. what do u feel?? justme gbot tum

Morning also.

I have never let it Dry or stay because I use it as a cleaner only and remove the residuals after cleaning and apply oil to the clean surfaces
so I have never had/seen this problem with it. The original poster ask what we use to clean certain areas and this is what I use because it is not harmful to gun parts, does a very good job and is good about reaching hard to get at areas, It is also thin enough to rinse the dirt and grime away and can help remove moisture.

What someone else wants to use is their business, It is just what I use. When I can disassembly a firearm I use my Sonic cleaner to do the same thing. So different conditions call for different solutions.

As stated earlier, many solvents are harmful to the metal and the stocks and can do damage from the moment they are used, so I steer clear of them.

Just what I use :cool:

J E CUSTOM

Morning also.

I have never let it Dry or stay because I use it as a cleaner only and remove the residuals after cleaning and apply oil to the clean surfaces
so I have never had/seen this problem with it. The original poster ask what we use to clean certain areas and this is what I use because it is not harmful to gun parts, does a very good job and is good about reaching hard to get at areas, It is also thin enough to rinse the dirt and grime away and can help remove moisture.

What someone else wants to use is their business, It is just what I use. When I can disassembly a firearm I use my Sonic cleaner to do the same thing. So different conditions call for different solutions.

As stated earlier, many solvents are harmful to the metal and the stocks and can do damage from the moment they are used, so I steer clear of them.

Just what I use :cool:

J E CUSTOM
Should there be any concern about any wd-40 getting down barrel when spraying it as a cleaner in the chamber?

Should there be any concern about any wd-40 getting down barrel when spraying it as a cleaner in the chamber?

It is a good solvent, And it attracts moisture. I seldom use it for cleaning barrels unless I am trying to remove lapping compounds.
It does a good job of removing the compound and then I just patch and oil.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.