Cinderella’s slipper doesn’t fit...

MTNRaine

Ordered up a set of Hawkins LR hybrid rings for my new Lighter weight 28 Nosler. Obviously jacked, I set to work getting my VX-6 mocked up annnd it doesn't fit. 😞 the tube is a scotch too short. I'm now at a loss as to what to do because I really didn't want to run a rail and rings for weight reasons. Do you guys have any other ideas or suggestions or do I just bite the bullet and go with a conventional ring/rail set up? For reference the action is a Hell Betty aka Tenacity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 473
Can you cut away the portion that touches the bell..shouldnt hurt the ability for the ring to hold the scope...just leave the section that touches the base long so screws stay secured...
But of course that is if the eye adjustment allows...
Or push it forward and adjust your head to the rifle...

It's maxed on both ends. Even if you cut the front to clear. you have no eye relief adjustment whatsoever as the other ring is seated against the power ring.

DNZ mounts may be an option, check measurements. This one piece aluminum mount on my rifle is only 3-4 oz, I bedded it to my receiver, torqued down the upgraded #8 screws, lapped the rings and bedded the March scope, and has had zero issues in over 300 rounds of .338 Norma mag on an obviously light for cartridge rifle. Otherwise, just go with a light rail and rings as Ryan said.

By the way, fellow lefty here!!

.338 nm.jpg

Last edited:
I like using rail (the majority of my rifles has a 20 MOA cant) for the ability to position the rings as centered (balanced pressure/hold) as possible. An additional ~2.5 ounces of weight is not a deal-breaker for "me", but that's just "me".

@MTNRaine, I don't you know if it's available for your rifle but have you considered Leupold's backcountry rings (https://www.leupold.com/product-series/backcountry-mounts?page=3).

Leupold backcountry scope rings.JPG

Last edited:
DNZ mounts may be an option, check measurements. This one piece aluminum mount on my rifle is only 3-4 oz, I bedded it to my receiver, torqued down the upgraded #8 screws, lapped the rings and bedded the March scope, and has had zero issues in over 300 rounds of .338 Norma mag on an obviously light for cartridge rifle. Otherwise, just go with a light rail and rings as Ryan said.

By the way, fellow lefty here!!

View attachment 217573
On that dnz 1 pc-- is that a medium with a 50mm obj?

I contacted dnz about med vs high and they said a med will fit up to 2.3" obj bell, so I asked about the high for room for flip caps and they said most guys use mediums and will "clearance" the scope covers --- seemed like an odd comment from them

Search for offset scope rings. Should solv your problem. Used one one rifle. Traveling now is that's all the info I can guve

On that dnz 1 pc-- is that a medium with a 50mm obj?

I contacted dnz about med vs high and they said a med will fit up to 2.3" obj bell, so I asked about the high for room for flip caps and they said most guys use mediums and will "clearance" the scope covers --- seemed like an odd comment from them
That is a medium, with a 21.5 MOA cant, with a 52mm objective. The barrel shank on my rifle is somewhat short (weight savings), as the taper starts 1" in front of the recoil lug, and it's a #5 contour (Lilja). I have about 1/8" clearance, I can get the front lense cap ALMOST all the way on without touching the barrel, though it is only a couple sheets of paper clearance with the flip up March lense cap. If I push it all the way on, it touches the barrel, though if I wanted I could "clearance" it, as they said, or sand down the plastic. However instead, I just started not having the front cover on and using a scope coat so I could protect the entire optic. The way it sits, it is absolutely perfect with my EH-1 stock.

If you have a similar contour or lighter barrel, you should be able to fit a 50mm lense with the medium and no cant with a lense cover, but with the cant, it could be closely like mine and would come down to barrel contour.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.