Chucks in So Utah

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by onzah, Apr 25, 2007.

1. onzah

onzah Well-Known Member

I have been making a trip to Idaho for some chuck shooting with an old farmer friend on a yearly basis each spring and would like to make a few more trips but 7 hours is a long drive. I have found a few chucks here and there but have not found a good supply closer than about 5 hours. Anybody seen any chucks in the Henry Mountains, fish Lake, or Richfield area? I found a few on Cedar Mountain and Boulder but they are hard to find and a lot of people.

2. Exhaust3

Exhaust3 Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same thing. I live in Salina, about 15 min. north of Richfield. Idaho is a good place to go, but it's getting pretty scarce around here too.

3. mrussell

mrussell Active Member

where abouts in Utah are you hunting chucks?
    I live in ogden area and have shot parire dog in wyoming but i would like to try something new. The areas you are talking about is it on privite land or public?
    I dont know about if parire dogs in Utah are leagle to shoot but there is a good population around the parawon area or close to that area. I was going to St. George last week and i noitced them off the side of the high way.

4. Exhaust3

Exhaust3 Well-Known Member

Most of the chucks we shoot are on private land. I haven't been scouting much for public land chucks, yet. Utah has a "season" for praire dogs April 1-June 15 http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/07-04/prairie_dogs.php. DO NOT SHOOT ANY DOGS DOWN BY PAROWAN, PARAGONA or CEDAR CITY or surrounding ares there they are protected and come at a high price. It sucks I know, most of the dogs we shoot are out by Green River, Emery Co., and up by Vernal on private land.

5. CAM

CAM Well-Known Member