Chronograph question

about 4 feet.
instructions said to set up at 10 feet but had nothing but errors and long setup times getting into position. A local handloader told me to set it up real close, so I did and no longer get errors and its set up in a few minutes.

Start with the recommendations that come with the chronograph. Then, based on the number of errors you get, then adjust closer or farther. From this standpoint no two Chrono's are the same. Measure the distance and write it on a sticker and put it on the chronograph. Be aware that the ideal distance for a .243win could be too close or too far for a .300RUM. I also found that keeping the sensors out of direct sun while shooting tended to cut down on the errors.

About 6'-7' with the ProChrono. Place I shoot has a pretty steep hill on the target side of the bench.
I've had it a little too close and blew it over once and had the plastic screen ripple another time.
Seems no worse for wear, but my velocities when up 150 fps!! (just kidding!!)

LabRadar on tripod - braked -12" to the side 4-6 inches in front. Unbraked 12" to side 0-4" in front.

Records every shot 100% of the time.

It important that optical chronographs be placed far enough away from the muzzle so the muzzle blast doesn't move the chronograph or the shades. This can affect the readings. I have observed shooters using optical chronographs on our range set up at ten feet (usual recommendation) and they are being moved by the muzzle blast. I try and set mine up at 15-20 feet whenever possible.