choosing a new rifle

backcountryj.laf

I'm looking into a new hunting rifle but since i built a .243 that shoots 1/4 inch groups last year my interests have changed.

I'm looking for a .270 caliber or larger rifle that will shoot in the neighborhood of 1/2 moa groups out to 600 yards. I've wanted a 270 weatherby for ever but i'm not sure it has the same appeal as it once did.

I already have a 300 win mag but it's .9 inch groups don't excite me any more. I guess what i really want is a hunting style rifle that shoots tight. I'm well aware that this is a really vague question but i'm looking for peoples responses to try and guide my purchase. Rifles i'm considering right now are the sendero in 300 win or 300 ultra mag. The weatherby accumark in .270 wby or 300 wby ( i really like the action, not sure about the accuracy of the cartridges) I'm also interested in the kimber and nosler rifles but here in canada they are tought to come by. I know that they Tikka's shoot well but i've had problems loading for my buddy's rifle because when the bullets are seated out they won't fit in the magazine and with berger vld's you can't even eject a loaded round.

Any insight or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My vote is 7WSM. I also have a really accurate custom 243 and have since built a 7wsm and I just love it. It's not quite as accurate as my 243 at 600yds but 1/2 MOA is no problem with either rifle. It beats the 243 at 1000yds unless conditions are very consistant... then it's a toss up.

With the factory guns and barrels it is all a roll of the dice if you want anything close to .5 MOA.

Some will make it, but dang few as a norm. Do not believe the "once in a lifetime 3 shot group one hole group" that always shows up on the internet. At BR central, they have had standing bets for a .25 factory gun to shoot in the short range BR matches and agg .25 for five shot groups and no one has won any money yet.

If I had to try for consistent "tight" in a factory, I would go with heavy barrel savages and for hunting in the 300 WSM. In fact take the Savage 308 FTR for $925 and rechamber to WSM for another $150 and $20 for another bolt head. Comes with 30" barrel so you can leave it or cut it off to 26". The savages have a much better track record in the accuracy dept over the stock Remingtons.

In reality, you are really talking a custom gun in my opinion in a variety of calibers to include the 270 weatherby. You would be money ahead and happier to rebarrel you 300 Win with a custom barrel and proper bedding and trigger tuning. Dan Lilja shot dynamite shoots at 1000 plus yards with a 270 weatherby so it can shoot.

Also, even then it is a matter of your reloading and bench skills, regardless of how accurate the gun is "capable of".

BH

Last edited:
Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA 7 Mag would be a good choice. I prefer the 7STW, but this rifle is not currently chambered for the 7 STW.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. The problem with living here in canada is trying to find a gunsmith to do a barrel. I spent almost $3000 on my .243 and i've been really happy, but it took me almost a year and a half to get my rifle. I am very detailed with my hand loading and spend a lot of time finding the best load for each of my rifles. I've also shot enough and done enough homework to know there are no garuntees, but i would like to buy a factory rifle that will give me the best chance of shooting groups with some quality time spent at the bench.

My vote for a factory rifle would be for the Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. However, for the accuracy your talking about, your going to need a custom rig or have work done on the factory rifle if you want consistant .5 groups.

First, I am a 270 fan.

Regarding that 300 WM that does not shoot to your liking. A year or two ago, I was over on the Jarret web site and saw that one of his pet cartridges was a 7mm x 300 Win Mag, I think he used an AI version.

Being an engineer by trade, that spun up the little wheels in my head and I got to thinking... This is when "thinking" ends up costing me a lot of money.

I do not care for the excessive freebore of the WBY Mag's. Seeing this Jarret wildcat got me thinking about a 270x300 WM. The thought of a 130gr Nosler AB at 3500+ FPS has a tangible degree of intrigue to me - perhaps it does for you-all too. gun)

Sssssoooo, why not have that 300 WM action squared up and re-barreled to a 270x300 WM in a Hart 28" barrel?

Just stirring the pot.

The problem with the wsm is the barrel hop is outrageous. I have a 300rum stock and I am shooting 2.5 in groups at 600 yard for the money and the performance you can not beat it.

If you think that stock is hopping with a WSM, put a RUM on it and it will leap.

The problem there is not the cartridge, it is the stock and probably sporter weight barrel compared to heavy weight sendaro. Apple and oranges.

With the factory guns and barrels it is all a roll of the dice if you want anything close to .5 MOA.

Some will make it, but dang few as a norm. Do not believe the "once in a lifetime 3 shot group one hole group" that always shows up on the internet. At BR central, they have had standing bets for a .25 factory gun to shoot in the short range BR matches and agg .25 for five shot groups and no one has won any money yet...

Interesting. I think I will pull the scope off my varmint rifle on to my 6mm Rem. The deer load I use in that rifle comes pretty close to meeting that requirement. How many 5 shot groups in a row do I have to produce? I will disclose what my un-altered factory rifle is at a later date and time... gun)
Any funds I might win will be donated to the NRA juniors program at my club.;)

Based upon the results I have been getting out of my Tikka t3 Lite in 270 Win, I think that Tikka T3 Varmint would be pretty nice too.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.