Choosing a 6.5

Morning All! I am looking at building a 6.5 on a remington 700 long action. I have narrowed it down to .260AI, 6.5PRC or 6.5x55 Improved and I am leaning towards the 6.5x55. My problem is that I am am seeing 6.5x55 Ackley Improved, 6.5x55 BJ AI (Bob Jourdan Ackley Improved) and regular 6.5x55 Improved. AmmoGuide is where I get my initial info and they only list the 6.5x55 Improved. It has a 54 degree shoulder which I like more than the 30 or 40 degree shoulder of the other two but I cannot find any other sources that list a 6.5x55 Improved with a 54 degree shoulder.

Anyone have any insight into the 6.5x55 confusion? I am thinking that 54 degree shoulder may give me a little more barrel life over the 30 or 40.

Thanks!
Mark
Get the Bob Jourdan. Read up on it, you will like it.

Just curious have you considered the 6.5 WSM? While some of the others mentioned may produce better barrel life, velocity on the WSM seems to be higher for a given bullet weight. Barrel life should be much better than a 26 Nosler . I'm considering converting my 270 WSM to a 6.5 WSM. I've ordered new Barrel and die set.

Last edited:
I use three 6.5s (06, creed, PRC). The 6.5-06 is by far the most difficult to dial-in a consistency accurate load for but has been taken on more successful hunts than all my other newer rifles. My old 270 is in a class all it's own in that department. The creedmoor and PRC are very easy to dial-in. They will basically shoot anything <1 MOA and with a little experimenting do much better that. It doesn't seem right to be able to take a scopes 6.5 lb Creedmoor and consistently knock down 1000 yard targets as well as my 12 lb PRC but it does. Now that I am old enough to not want to carry a heavy rifle I will have no problem throwing the creed in my backpack for most hunts. The only reason I did not go with a 6.5 WSM over the PRC was complaints over short barrel life but as stated that can be mitigated by spreading out shots and keeping the barrel cool. I am using the 160 Matrix in my PRCs but have been experimenting with the 156 EOL; looks really good so far. 142 ABLR in the creedmoor is more effective then it seems it should be. If the 270 had as many options as the 6.5 I would have stayed there but with all the options the high SD 6.5s are hard to beat

most if not all 6.5x55 domestic cartridges are .473 bolt face. i built a 6.5x55 BJAI off of a browning a-bolt 30-06. just had Pac-nor build the barrel and my gunsmith did his magic. according to Bob Jourdan load info at the time it will shoot right with the 6.5-284 without all the hassle building to shoot. BJAI reamer which i have and fire form and your done.

The 6.5-06 is by far the most difficult to dial-in a consistency accurate load fo

Is this a product of the cartridge or the rifle itself? I think we put too much blame on the cartridge when accuracy and the ease of tuning a load has more to do with the rifle itself.

I just finished up with a 6.5x06AI over the 4th of July and it was a Laser beam out to 1,000 with Berger 140's

Opinion are all over on tbis, a little more than expected...

Lots of good thoughts with one key point needs id like to emphasise. It sounds like what you're looking for requires a heavy vld of 140ish at 2900 give or take to accomplish your goal. Pick a good round that meets your goal.

The 65x284 would be a great choice but I feel like a 260AI would meet your needs and really shine in accuracy, speed and barrel life if all were given equal weight of consideration.

I have a 6.5 Addiction. It is a 6.5x55 not fully AI'ed, there is still a little body taper and it has a 37 deg shoulder. With 4831 and 147s, I'm getting 2900 from a 24" barrel. It was easy to dial in that load. Lots of folks are having great luck with RL 26. I worked up a load at 2975, but it wasn't quite as accurate as the H4831 load. I really like the 6.5 AI. I've shot it in several PRS matches. The only drawback I have is sometimes I have to wait on the plates to slow down the swinging for follow-up shots.

So what should a fella with a Tikka 6,5x55 do? Have a gunsmith run a reamer in the factory barrel and punch it to 6,5 AI (30 or 40 degree?) or even go 6,5 Addiction even though its set up for medium length 3.15" COAL?

If you go to an Addiction then you can use standard AI mags which gives you more flexibility if you decide to switch stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts