Cheek Weld

Having the proper cheek weld is important and making sure that its the same shot after shot is critical to fine accuracy. The adjustable cheek piece is a great adition if you like scope with obj lens over 40mm as with most folk with most guns you will start to rasie your head up off the stock "breaking the cheek weld" and you head placement will not be consistant nor will the pressure that your putting opn the stock.
With tactical rifles I find it VERY important to be as comfortable as possible while behind the gun as you might have to be their for hrs on end and you need to be focused completly on what your looking at through your scope , about 95% of a police snipers job is relaying info back to the command and entry team , in alot of cases you maybe the only eyes they have.
If you ever notice the military sniper rifles almost all of them have somthing duck taped to the stock , thats foam that they have taylored to fit the gun to them.

You don't see to many Bench Rest shooters with adjustable cheek pieces but in their case I think they try to have as little contact as possible with the gun , but in just about all other shooting sports for clays to Palma the shooters either have stocks built to fit them or adjustable cheek rest.

+1 on what JDJ said.

Accuracy equals consistancy and vise versa. A consistant cheek weld and trigger release is vital to accurate shooting. Good practice on these two things will help tremendously and will be evident downrange. A good way to see a good cheek weld in action is to shoot a group like you normally do and then shoot a group without lifting your head from the stock. When I was first showed this about ten years ago I couldn't believe the difference, it shrunk my groups by almost half.

Murf

Try lying prone behind a rifle with a 50+ mm obj scope and no cheekpiece with your head off the stock and see how long it takes you before you have to comprimise you shooting position.

The adjustable cheekpiece was what saved me. After waiting 25 years to get an elk in the crosshairs at 1K the elk wore me out waiting on him to get turned properly for the shot. Without the cheekpiece I could not have held my head steady enough to cleanly break the trigger.

I have one of Shawn's adjustable cheekpieces ready to retrofit another long range rifle that is getting a 56mm objective scope today or tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.