changing reticle on Vari X III

waumpuscat

I have a 4.5-14 x 50 that currently has fine duplex wires and I need something that is more versatile and better for hunting. I would like to someday shoot past 300yds and need that to be considered as well. This is for 300 WM. All suggestions and comments from those of more experience is very much appreciated. What about the B&C reticle? I am leaning that way. I called Leupold today and they said the #4German was $59 and the B&C was $109. I believe it may be worth it.

I have that same scope on my 300 WM. I bought it with the standard duplex reticle in it, and then sent it back in to Leupold later to have them add the M1 knobs. With a 200 yd zero, the top of the bottom "post" is right on at 300 yds, and you can easily dial anything past that.

At least when I sent mine in, Leupold was right on with regards to their turnaround times.

Have fun,

Brian

it would be important to have knobs installed on your scope assuming yours dosent have them.
an elevation only knob would do but i would suggest you get both. the target knobs will have cover caps. the m1 knobs being larger will not. we could argue all day about which is better. i have both and they both work fine. i do like the caps however.
you could get by just fine with your duplex reticle and knobs.

that said dialing does take time and there is always the possibility of nervous error.
there are also other options beside the leupold reticles.
for example, t k lee in alabama will customize a reticle that is programmed specifically for your cartridge and load. www.scopedots.com
i have several scopes with custom multible dot reticles. they are very fast and accurate.
you can simply ignore them and dial if you like.
or you can fine tune with a few clicks.
i would suggest a 1 min. dot for your main aiming dot.
i would personaly not go smaller than 1/2 min on the others but certainly no smaller than 1/4 min.

I have had several converted to Mil-dot with target knobs. You will need to call them to check on the availability of reticles. Leupy does a fine job, last one I did the reties was around $110 and the target knobs around $150. The turn time was quick and they keep you abreast of progress. I agree with the knobs, this is the most sure method and with the new ones installed by Luepy the will track well.

If i were having it done i'd go with the B&C, or maybe even the custom dot option that Leupold offers. I'd also get one of the low-profile turrets, but it'd be elevation only (assuming 1's cheaper--don't know that), and apply reticle for windage, whether simple Duplex, custom, B&C, whatever.

I have a 4.5-14x on a Savage Striker 243 WSSM, but i have the Varmint Hunter reticle instead and LOVE it. Had a std. elevation turret installed only, and apply reticle for windage (the VH reticle has 3 1.77 MOA units right along the horizontal axis either side of vertical that provides for excellent windage reference for the dialer).

I have several leupold scopes all of them have been worked over by the custom shop(have two more on order right now:))
I would put the varmit hunter reticle in your scope first and if you have funds left over add the cds turret.
the Varmit reticle gives you a extra hold over line and a extra wind hold over line than the BC this reticle is great for quick shots to about 500 yards
the cds turret should get you to about 800 yards if you have time to dial for your shot
would be a great set up
retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.