change barrel mauser

boomer

I have a chance to pick up a Mauser commercial action and I would like to have it built with three barrels, I was thinking of using a barrel nut like Savage uses. I have seen one with two barrels before it was shooting sub 1/2 inch groups with both barrels. But the price tag was very hefty. I talked to several smiths and they are talking about $1000 to $1500 for the work. I'm only going to have the money once to fliter away so I'm looking for help on picking calibers, something for varmints, and deer and something for elk and black bear, and something for long range target. right now I'm thinking 243AI, 308, 6.5X284.

I never thought of WBY and they are among my favorite calibers. Now that opens up a hole new plan.

One thing is the 240Wby is a 0.473 bolt face. Other Wbys are the larger magnum bolt face and then you have the supersizes based upon the 378 case.

Ballistics of a 240Wby are the same as a 6-284 or a 6-06. Depending on your thoughts concerning barrel life you may want to stay with the 243AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.