Chama New Mexico Dec Elk

Dalebow

I was able to secure a private landowner tag for Chama NM, not sure of the unit or anything but hoping to redeem my bad luck on my CO hunt. Anyone hunt that area of NM and have any advice on late season elk???

Which outfitter? Usually I find that they pick which ranch you'll go on which day.

Pray for snow. Lots of it. Then pray for more.
I was there a year ago when it was 30 at night, 50 during the day, and no snow worth mentioning. As a result the elk weren't pushed off the mountains so we never saw one. At this time of year your success will depend on the herds being pushed down as well as lots of luck if they're not.

Per the webcams, I don't see any appreciable snow there now...

Traincams

I am hunting with wolf creek outfitters. There isnt a lot of snow yet, been cold so far, hoping for some snow too.

Watch the webcam above for downtown Chama. If it shows a lot of snow there, then in the higher elevations there will be enough to help you.

Don't be afraid to ask your outfitter how much snow there is and if the elk are moving yet.

Talked to Mia and the herds have started moving down and they are several herds on the ranches I will be hunting:D
looks like cold and snow this week..........should be good!

Smoked a HUGE 5X5 8am opening day. Saw 5 different bulls, one 7X7 that would go over 350" but the 5x5 gave me a shot, man everything frozen, camera dead so no pics but I will put up pics of mount:D
saw over 100 elk, snow everywhere???

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.