Cerakote Oven

lrdevil

It seems most people are building their own ovens, but if one were to buy one who would you recommend to buy from. Keep in mind, this would be for barreled actions.

I have not seen one for sale and if they are would guess they would be pricey. I would guess $2500 up. I have been wanting to build one as well just have not seen anything that I would like. And the local tin guys are so busy I cant get them to bend me anything up.

You're absolutely right, I have found a couple but they are very pricy when you consider that you could build one for a fraction of the cost. My challenge is that I'm just not an electronics type of guy so I would probably get off on the wrong foot to begin with.

My friend bought a tall stainless propane smoker and does barreled actions when the pork butt isn't cooking.

I am an electronics guy and could make a run of temp controllers for these ovens if we could get a few guys interested in buying one.

Could get a heating element (not sure which one) and have precise temp control.

Someone else would have to make the enclosure but would be fairly simple to build the controllers.

A control for an electric range works! No need at all to over complicate. All it takes is the control and a thermal couple, of course you'd need a heating element and the insulated encloser and an independent thermometer (digital meat thermometer for $15 at WalMart)

I did a bit of research and it seems that it's not very temp sensitive so pretty much anything that can heat your enclosure to 200 degrees will work. Walmart has on sale an electric skillet that may work for a smaller oven. Just make sure you put a fan in there to circulate heat. IMO if you would heat it prior and get a fairly consistent temp then bake your golden. Just might take some fooling around with it and if your only doing it on occasion then the extra time is cheaper than a fancy control

I'm stiil using my school locker oven powered by a toaster oven laying in the bottom. Thermostat works, convection fan if I want and it will hit up to 400 degrees in under 10 minutes if I want to. Whole thing less than $100.

This was testing. It has a rack in the top now for hanging everything. I can do 2 complete rifles at a time in it. The only drawback is the toaster oven timer can only be set for 1 hour at a time so when the alarm goes off you have to reset the time for another 60 minutes but then you can take off and it shuts itself off.

I did a bit of research and it seems that it's not very temp sensitive so pretty much anything that can heat your enclosure to 200 degrees will work. Walmart has on sale an electric skillet that may work for a smaller oven. Just make sure you put a fan in there to circulate heat. IMO if you would heat it prior and get a fairly consistent temp then bake your golden. Just might take some fooling around with it and if your only doing it on occasion then the extra time is cheaper than a fancy control
Might do a bit more of that 'research' as there's a bit more to it than what you've garhered.

Well if you guys want a controller just send me a pm and I can build one up. As it stands right now it seems like the premade repurposed thermostats are doing a decent job. I'm used to doing solder reflow where you have to ramp the temp up let preheat and then ramp into a reflow temp and then ramp down. Might be too much for this application.

Someone might comment if finishes come out better with a highly controlled oven?

I have had some interest in a controller and if i can get a few people to buy one to cover the costs ill develop it up.

Fixed costs for 10 Printed Circuit Boards to be made (china special) is about $60 and then the parts are in addition

I would prefer to use a solid state relay due to the high amount of turn on and off cycles (although most ovens use standard relays) This will be a major cost in the production at $33 each.

The rest of the components can be bought for around $10 so cost to me to build would be

close to $90. After that its just the approx $43 per unit. If we can get some people that are interested in buying these then the per unit cost would be around $70 shipped.

Little note:

I can not sell you a completed project as it has to go through UL first so to bypass the EXTREME cost of that I will provide a controller board with terminals and the solid state relay. You would then have to wire in your own heating element (if it is a 230V heating element as the initial spec will be 2300 Watt element or 1150 watt for 110V) and run wires from the board to the relay. In addition if you want a fan you will have to use a DC fan and run wires from it to the fan. The Printed Circuit board will come with standoff's that you can mount anywhere you want and you will need to supply a wall wart to power the board (If you will be using a 12V fan it would need to supply enough current for the fan plus about .2A for the controller and powering the relay.

As for controls someone more knowledgeable than i needs to chime in and say exactly what the process is.

As i understand it heat to a low temp to vapor off any residual cleaning agents, spray and bake at 180F for a period of time. I also understand plastics have a different process.

The user controls can be a knob that adjusts temp (say 1F increments from 100-500) and maybe a selector for different thermal profiles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.