Cerakote Flutes

Discussion in 'Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews' started by Triple BB, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Triple BB

Triple BB Well-Known Member

I have a stainless barrel & action. The Predator action has a black oxide handle and bolt. The scope, rings & bases are matte black. Just wondering how the whole thing would look if the flutes only were Cerakoted a matte black. Anyone ever Cerakoted just the flutes?

2. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

I saw one once. I thought it looked great.?
    Cant say for sure it was cerakote, but the flutes were black and everything else was shiny.

3. 112Savage

112Savage Well-Known Member

I turned my savage into a faux sendero with a black/grey duramaxx stock and then painted the flutes matte black with engine block enamel. It looks good and is easy to touch up. Stainless on black looks great. I know its not cerakote, but just saying i've done it and its possible

4. joshua99ta

joshua99ta Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 338-408 in a heavy contour with intermittent fluting and Im thinking about polishing the barrel and painting the fluting.

112savage- has yours held up good?

I'm wondering how well it sticks to the stainless?

5. Triple BB

Triple BB Well-Known Member

I decided to try painting my flutes as a first option. My local guy wanted $150 to Cerakote just the flutes. I went to an autobody paint supplier and picked up the best self etching primer spray they had. I wiped down the metal and then spent a couple hours masking. Sprayed three light coats and let it dry. Peeled the tape and cleaned up some overspray. I like it. And if it ever chips, I'll only need to mask the affected area and respray...

6. 112Savage

112Savage Well-Known Member

the flutes have held up well. One time I got some Barnes CR-10 on one and the paint just wiped right off like grease. Now I'm a lot more careful with cleaning solvents. I'm sure if you prepare and prime the metal then apply a tough paint and a matte clear coat it should hold up to most everything except for solvents.

7. OneShot0351

OneShot0351 Well-Known Member

Paul @ pro precision rifles did mine. not sure of the process, i considered doing it myself w/ gun kote read where they tape off the barrels and cut out the flutes w/ something round like a marble or ball bearing running it down the flutes.
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

When cerakoting the flutes I mask off fore and aft of the flutes and cerakote the entire barrel. After drying a few days I spin it in the lather and polish off the tops. The flutes stay cerakoted and sharp. Now doing a bi-color, flutes one color and the rest of the barrel another is a different story. Much more time involved with masking.