Caseing weight and its effect

If none of this matters, I wonder why Lapua QC seems to go to great effort to keep their case weights within a couple grains.
Norma is more consistent than Lapua. But anything Lapua does to improve the consistency of their brass is fine with me -as long as they aren't wasting efforts on merchandising instead of what matters.
All I'm suggesting is that weight itself does not get us to goal.

When I'm weighing cases and separating by weight, that's the first thing that happens right out of the box. When I was shooting benchrest, I would buy as many Lapua 220 Russian cases as I could afford. That way I could groups as many of a certain weight as I could. Then I would take either 20 or 40 cases of the same weight and proceed to do the rest of the prep work.

When my friend was shooting 1,000 yard matches, I would also sort his Lapua 308 cases the same way.

I think that weight alone will tell you how close that batch of brass is to being alike. Maybe not TO GOAL as you put it. But it helps start you in the same direction.

After you have trimmed, deburred and adjusted everything, it doesn't do any good to go back and check weight.

Norma is more consistent than Lapua. But anything Lapua does to improve the consistency of their brass is fine with me -as long as they aren't wasting efforts on merchandising instead of what matters.
All I'm suggesting is that weight itself does not get us to goal.
If his Norma is more consistent than Lapua, then those 2 companies sure have changed in the past 10 years.

If his Norma is more consistent than Lapua, then those 2 companies sure have changed in the past 10 years.
I can say for 6BR and 223, Norma has always been most consistent (across all parameters). The problem with Norma is that it's too soft an alloy.
Today I don't know that Lapua is any harder than Norma (since going to blue box). So Lapua may have lost advantage there too.
Until I know, and given price, I would rather cull away most of Win Reloading brass to find what will last, and form it from there (if needed).