.308 Bullet Weight effects past 1,000 Yds

Rob, I don't have a handy place to set up targets at 1500 yards. But, I know a great spot for shooting rocks at 1500. My laser is a CRF 1200, but I'm thinking you are using a CRF 1600? If so we could select rocks in the .3-.5 mil size at 1500, and have a go.

Shane

Following Shane's lead I put together a 208 amax/R17 load for my 308 tikka that will put cold bore hits on steel out to 1k. I haven't shot it much past 1k, but based on how easy it is to get a 208 amax on steel at 1k, I'd be confident shooting at man-sized targets at 1500 wih handloads. Of course, the usual excuse applies- my ability to accurately read the atmospherics will be the variable, not the load.

I have a speedie tag for your back yard, Shane. If you have a couple man-sized targets you'd be willing to put out at 1500, I'd be happy to lob some 208's in their general direction...

Rob, I don't have a handy place to set up targets at 1500 yards. But, I know a great spot for shooting rocks at 1500. My laser is a CRF 1200, but I'm thinking you are using a CRF 1600? If so we could select rocks in the .3-.5 mil size at 1500, and have a go.

Shane

You should be able to set up to 1500yds and more at Copper City which is about half way between both of you. Although, last I heard it was closed for rehab after the fire. Maybe it's open again? Would love to watch if I'm around.

You should be able to set up to 1500yds and more at Copper City which is about half way between both of you. Although, last I heard it was closed for rehab after the fire. Maybe it's open again? Would love to watch if I'm around.

I'm not familiar with Copper City.

Rob's going to be up here hunting antelope in this area, so we'll give it a go here.

If he gives a firm date, we can share it here. Location I have in mind is east side of Canyon Ferry Lake, roughly near the mouth of Little Helgate Gulch.

I was up there this afternoon scouting a decent 1500 yard shot. I ended up flinging a few rounds at a mile with good impact signatures in the dry earth. It was kind of for laughs though. 208s at 2600 fps. I had about a 22 mph full-value wind. I had dialed a full rev of windage (15 moa), and was still holding between 4-5 mils. So roughly 30 moa total windage.....and 95 moa elevation. Needless to say, my moa size target was very safe.....grin.

MontanaMarine was kind enough to take me to a great shooting spot today. We couldn't have asked for better conditions- very little wind, clear, coldish, and dry. We had very little trouble getting real close with our cold bore shots at 1500, and even a mile.
We had to change targets (rock, bush, rock) to see splash as the light changed, but on all shots where splash was visible I was amazed at how tight the 208's held to the target at 1500 (my second five shot string went 4/5 on it- cold bore was off left edge, 4 followers all hit). Shane summed it up perfectly with his previous quote

"At the same time, I'm quite confident I could make life difficult for someone at 1500 yards with my 308 and handloads, if things should ever come to that."

With the 208's running ~2640, I'd confidently shoot 1500 yards on man sized targets. Obviously, the conditions played a big role today, but considering we both saw sub moa performance from the amax's at several ranges from 675-1760 yards (in a 308, an 06, and a 300 wsm), I suspect that a decent shooter could expect good things in even moderate wind. I'll post a full report tomorrow when I get the notes & pictures put together.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.