Case Trimmers/brass prep

The rcbs motorized lathe type trim pro with THREE WAY CUTTERs are by far the best money I've ever spent with the amount of loading I do.
I keep a 30 cal. 3 way always way set up because I have so many different 30 cal. cartridges. The other setup I change diameter pilots, adjust the chamfer and debur setting and go.
A true arthritis deterrent.

i have the big hornady prepstation..

hornady-lock-n-load-case-prep-center-adjusting-how-to-use-parts.jpg

but i use this way more...

CTS Trimmer
[ame=http://youtu.be/5ptVYawCfuE]CTS Trimmer Review - YouTube[/ame]

Couple things about the video.

...One, wear safey glasses (even outside), brass swarf (shavings) are hell on your eye's.
...Two, this trimmer is similar to the WFT and the Giraud secept the Giraud is solid mounted and integrially driven. The WFT drives with a handrill just like this one but uses a zero tolerance (runout) roller bearing insert that accepts sub inserts (steel) that are chamber cut to match the caliber family so the insert rotates with the brass (no marks on the case).

I would exchhange the import 2 flute end mill (that does the cutting) to a solid micrograin tungsetn 4 flute fast helix end mill for a couple reasons. One the 4 flute will cut sommoth at a lower speed, it will last forever and contraty to the video, a HSS mill will leave a tiny burr inside the case mouth and on the id because the brass is much softer than the cutter material so it 'flows' a bit no matter how sharp the cutter is and a 4 flute eliminates all chatter.

Also, contrary to the video, it's advisable to chamfer the id of the case mouth prior to inserting any pill, you want a smooth umimpeded entry and a square shoulder will not give you that. On boattails, I strongly suggest a VLD chamfer for ease of insertion plus a VLD chamfer won't scar the pill as it enters the case mouth.

All 3 are basically the same principla, CTS. WFT and Giraud.

Because the end mill is the driven shank of the tool, I don't like to use a handrill. I prefer chucking the tool in a collet in one of my lathes and using both hands to guide and cut the necks. Just my preference.

do you have a link for WFT, and *** does it stand for:D Can you use a drill press ok as I have a couple? Is it more of a production type, I usually only do 20-50 at a time

Been using the Wilson hand trimmer for YEARS. Finally bought the adapter and hooked it up to my drill. Now I can trim 50-100 pieces in NO TIME! love it!

do you have a link for WFT, and *** does it stand for:D Can you use a drill press ok as I have a couple? Is it more of a production type, I usually only do 20-50 at a time

Goggle up Little Crow Gunworks and buy it direct from Dale.. They are on Amazon.com but direct is cheaper. Drill press is fime and you can do 10 or 1000, all depends on how many you have to trim.

Could be *** instead. Prety easy to transpose the letters.

I use the following:

Lee case length gage
Ball grip
3 Jaw chuck case holder
and a cordless drill

Lee Case Trimmer Cutter Ball Grip

This is fast and accurate for me. It cut all cases square and same length. Only issue is it cuts them back to standard trim length that you find in reloading manuals.

I'm sure some will find issues and flaws with these tools. :rolleyes: But I don't mind hearing them, if any :D

I like that ball grip. It would sure save the finger cramps! I have used Lees for many years and have no reason to change. They do a great job and for what some of the others cost, you can buy every caliber made. I have never had any accuracy issues that I would attribute to the trimming of the case, but I am not a bench-rester either. My rifles are all 1/2 minute at 300 yards, so I guess my trimming must be OK!

I've used that big clunky Hornady thing and sold it. Darn thing varies way to much. Went to using the really nice L.E. Wilson with the micrometer. Now it collects dust since I've changed to the WFT from little crow. I tried one in 223 first since I use so much of it and I was hooked after that. All of mine only vary by a thousandth of an inch .001 and I've now got 10 of them. It may cost a lot but I also use about 10,000 rounds of 223 a year. This does them fast. Here is some info in case someone is looking for it. BTW if you buy multiple ones from him direct then they give a discount.

It's actually cheaper (much) to buy the inserts than the whole thing. I point pills so I made a set of delrin (plastic inserts) to mkatch the ogive's of the pills I point the meplats on.

I have a couple of the Little Crows-WFT trimmers,but usually use my Lee trimmers since I can trim and chamfer in one easy step using a cordless drill.
I've never had any issues with the Lee trimmers,they do an excellent job.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.