Case Trim length for 338-300 ultra/edge

E4aker

My new 30" pac-nor is somewhere in transit right now and should be here wednesday. I'm going to start getting some brass prepped up and was wondering what trim length you were trimming your brass to? thanks

I know as many people around here that shoot the 338 edge, somebody knows what the case trim length is. Is it the same length as the 300 RUM?? I'm ready to put the WILSON to work. Thanks

In most cases any wildcat will have the same trim length as the parent case it is based on.

That said, when you neck up a case, it will shorten to some degree.

What I tell my customers is to form your cases and measure them all, find the shortest length that will square up all the cases to the same length and trim them all to that length.

Now some common sense must be used here. IF you have one case that is 30 thou shorter then the next shortest case, DO NOT trim them all to that same length, find a length that will square up the vast majority of the cases to the same and go with it.

You will probably also find that after the first firing, the cases will need trimming again because the cases will expand and stretch differently on the virgin firing. after they have been trimmed after shooting once, they generally stay quite consistant.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.