Case lenghth measurements? THAT important???

I load for several guns from 22-250 to 7mm mag. I take one case size it properly then trim it carefully to the proper trim length and save it. That way I can adjust the trimmer to that length every time using that case as a base mesurement. It is good to check every case before reloading, each one is different. Happy loading.lightbulb

Saw these postings about case length and wanted to make a comment. I reload 300 win mag and just recently switched from a Ruger MK77 Mark II to a Savage 111 Long Range hunter. My reloads chambered, fired, and ejected just fine from the Ruger without ever trimming the casings, but every time I fired one of my loads in the Savage, I had difficulty opening the bolt and ejecting the shell. It turned out to be a problem with the ce lengths. I cut them down to .005 below max and the problem went away. The tolerance in the chamber of the Savage is much smaller than in the Ruger. It can be seen in how much more accurate the Savage is than the Ruger ever thought of being.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.