case head seperation?

I think its good idea to set headspace clearance to 3 - 4 thousands, this way there are no room for brass to separate since it can't move, of course you'll end up bumping shoulders back every time you reload and if you don't, you'll have problem cycling your reloads in your chamber.

I bump my shoulders back 2 thou every time i fl size. Dont get the whole body sized as if i had the die all the way in it would bump it back 6 thou.

If you reload them and they do seperate its not always a simple task getting them out of the chamber . I learned this the hard way in a 22-250 and i wont reload anything with a base like that again . Just my 2 cents .

I had a head separation and how I got the case out of barrel was to use a screw driver that fit in side the case and twisted it right out no problem at all

If you can find a tap you can tap the case and remove it as well. The brass is thin but will tap really easy. I had one happen in an AR-15. ran a tap through it and just pulled on the tap. Came right out.

I wonder if you could use a dowel through the muzzle. Would a dowel be able to catch on the mouth? Not sure as i have never seen a cut away of a chamber. If so a dowel dipped in super glue and let dry would be stout enough.

nothing from the muzzel will hit on the case mouth and I doubt the super glue will stick to the carbon in the case. Using a tap you will have to make sure it is smaller than the outside diameter of the case

I had a tap that just barely cut into the case, came out nice. Could not tell from the outside anything happened.

That was back when i threw charges into my rifles (now i tricle them all), and would load up 100's of bullets. Was getting them locally from some off brand for about 100 per 2000. Bought 5 2000 pks and 300 pieces of brass. Lesson learned, brass needs retired after lots of high pressure loads. Take the time to inspect cases, Powder throw needs to be tightened and checked every once in a while to make sure it has not opened up.

Now i only shoot rifles that would get under 50 rounds per range trip. Allows me to take my sweet time and trickle using my old beam balance

Had one come apart in one of my other rifles a while ago(bumped the shoulder too far back on case that had been used 1 too many times over 15 or so years) and what I used to get it out was one of my wife's old painters brushes. It has a tapered handle on it so I pushed it in from the breech side as far as I could then gave it a turnso the wood could grab real good then tapped the whole thing out with a cleaning rod. The case was actually stuck by the shoulder with a fair amount of force that kind of surprised me with how well it worked. Not that I'm hoping to have to do it ever again but it's nice to know that they do come out without using taps and screwdrivers and other hard metalic tools. Can post a pic of it if anyone wants

I recently had a 300 win mag case head let go on me when load testing,
the case had 8 reloads through it at the time.
I used a tight fitting bore brush and push it half way into the case neck to extract it from the chamber.

Attachments

• P6100008.JPG
    P6100008.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 300WIN.JPG
    300WIN.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.