Carbon barrels

I'm looking at a new rifle with a carbon wrapped barrel , just how tough and durable are they? Hunting is tough terrain and slips and falls, when your rifle takes a licking is the carbon barrel still good or need a replacement? Thanks
Not to out a manufacturer, but it may help to tell which one because a lot of them are built differently. This will help give you a better idea of what your getting into.

idcwby

Those are usually special order, designed to compensate for the curvature of the Earth
Wow! that made me holler out so loud it scared my dog! Great post, thats a great company that thinks of 🤔 everything like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking this question, you're getting a lot of great answers! I bought myself a Christiansen Arms MPR in 300 PRC. I've been SUPER impressed with accuracy with factory and hand loads thus far. I talked to a lot of peers locally, even a couple that get dropped of in countries for a few days without anybody but a spotter for backup, and they agree that the Proof Carbon Barrels live up to the hype. My budget doesn't allow for that and a McMillan stock yet, but I can share my confidence that going carbon fiber will not be a mistake.

I have 3 rifles all with Proof Carbon barrels. They are tough as nails as they have taken a real beating ... I hunt in some tough terrain. They are lighter than the equivalent steel barrel. They get hot slowly and shed heat quickly - nice at the range. If these are things that matter to you the get a carbon barrel. Thing is that they don't shoot more accurately than steel. So if that is all that matters then no need for Carbon (will likely cost more than steel).

I'm looking at a new rifle with a carbon wrapped barrel , just how tough and durable are they? Hunting is tough terrain and slips and falls, when your rifle takes a licking is the carbon barrel still good or need a replacement? Thanks

I have zero first hand knowledge regarding carbon fiber barrels. Now, Hill Country Rifles in Braunfels, Texas has extensive experience and knowledge having testing carbon fiber barrels. Suggest you call HCR and get your answers from someone trust worthy and have 100% faith in work.

Having worked on the research and development of carbon fibre for 6 1/2 years in the UK let me give you my 2 pennies worth
CF is 5 times or more stronger than steel and much much lighter depending on what modulus of the fibre being used is
It is very rigid and has to be used properly for what you are trying to do with it
Ie wrapping a barrel, fishing rod, moulding canoes, bicycles, support for ladies high heels and much more
I would like to see a pic of the bent CF barrel wrapped thread posted on here
Just be careful that the modulus used is of a good quality CF ie High and an approriate resin is used
Good luck in your search

My gun smith who builds lots of guns told me that the average failure for carbon barrels is about 10%. I have been lucky i guess because I have 7 of them and all turned out great. the 10% number does not scare him because he says they ( proof research ) backs there stuff well and will send him another one no questions asked

My gun smith who builds lots of guns told me that the average failure for carbon barrels is about 10%. I have been lucky i guess because I have 7 of them and all turned out great. the 10% number does not scare him because he says they ( proof research ) backs there stuff well and will send him another one no questions asked
This is what we've been seeing both on failures and replacement.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.