Can't get barrel off of rem 700 action

This is my first time trying to remove a barrel so I can install a remage barrel. I have installed remage barrels but have never had to removed a factory barrel. I bought a cheap rem 700 in 243 on clearance from wally world. Its never been fired. I bought a wheeler action wrench and barrel vise. I degreased the barrel and I used rosin on the wood blocks. I crank down the barrel vise and at first it won't budge but eventually the barrel starts to turn in the vise. Am I doing something wrong? I am not opposed to purchasing another barrel vise so if there is a much better one out there, please let me know. I am not sure that I am so impressed with the wheeler vise. I have also seen where some people use hydraulic presses. Is that better than a barrel vise?
I have wrench that clamps on the action and has a slot that the recoil lug fits in. The recoil lug exerts most of the force and cannot slip on the action. One whack on wrench breaks it loose. I dont think penetrating oil desolves locktite, but not sure. Most thread unions are air tight and penetrating oil will not penetrate. Maybe only one is Kroil. But wrench that encapsulates lug will break barrel and action even if epoxies or locktited

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.