How Get Rem 700 In a .260?

iSnipe

I'm hoping one of you gunsmiths or anyone knowledgeable enough, could help me on a problem. I want a .260 in a Remington 700. I don't want the CDL, fluted, sendero model, etc. They're too dang pricey and I wouldn't want them anyway.

For me the ideal gun would be a Remington 700 ADL with synthetic stock in the .260. Doing an online search I once saw where such a beast did exist, or so I thought, but can't find it.

What I would like to do is place a 700 action and .260 barrel in an Ultimate Sniper stock, Bell & Carlson or McMillan stock. My first choice is the Ultimate Sniper because it looks cool(LOL!) and is cheap compared to the others. This will be a deer hunting gun.

If I wanted to get a regular Remington synthetic stock, where would I get it and what stock would I need? Long action or short action?

Same question applies as the above, but for the Ultimate Sniper stock.

Now, here's the thing, what I want seems to be simple, but I'm not sure how to go about it. ??

Can any of y'all help? How can I go about getting this setup? Where would I get the action and barrel? I don't need the fluted barrel. A simple regular blued barrel would be fine.

Thanks for your help.

iSnipe

Well any barrel maker can and will make you just a plane looking barrel with any contour you wish. by doing this you will be able to control the weight of your gun as well. As far as the stock find the stock you like and that also can be purchased. I would fine the stock i want first then match the barrel up with the stock. and i have a custom built 260 with a Mak frame and a 26" brux barrel that will flat shoot last week i hit the 1200 yard target 4 out of 5 times with a 7-10 mph wind that i had to allow for. But as i read your post money seems to be an issue well custom barrel will cost from 325-425 depending on what you want. what is your budget?? just remember your optics will probably cost more than the rifle.
need any more help just ask this is a great forum

I've got a factory black Remington 700 SA stock (it's on a 243 right now) that I'll sell ya. PM me if you're interested. I've been thinking of upgrading to a B&C, McM, or something anyway.

I'm hoping one of you gunsmiths or anyone knowledgeable enough, could help me on a problem. I want a .260 in a Remington 700. I don't want the CDL, fluted, sendero model, etc. They're too dang pricey and I wouldn't want them anyway.

For me the ideal gun would be a Remington 700 ADL with synthetic stock in the .260. Doing an online search I once saw where such a beast did exist, or so I thought, but can't find it.

What I would like to do is place a 700 action and .260 barrel in an Ultimate Sniper stock, Bell & Carlson or McMillan stock. My first choice is the Ultimate Sniper because it looks cool(LOL!) and is cheap compared to the others. This will be a deer hunting gun.

If I wanted to get a regular Remington synthetic stock, where would I get it and what stock would I need? Long action or short action?

Same question applies as the above, but for the Ultimate Sniper stock.

Now, here's the thing, what I want seems to be simple, but I'm not sure how to go about it. ??

Can any of y'all help? How can I go about getting this setup? Where would I get the action and barrel? I don't need the fluted barrel. A simple regular blued barrel would be fine.

Thanks for your help.

iSnipe

Remingtion makes/made a 260 rem in a Model 7 and it is the shortest action they make(Same
length as an XP 100) it is a great rifle,very light ,very short and handy,and they can be made to
shoot really well.

You should be able to find one in 243,260,7/08 and 308.Any of these will take a custom 260
barrel if you were not satisfied with the accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
If money is an issue, I would just buy a model 7 in 260. I see them on gunbroker all the time and even if they are priced in the $600 + dollar range it will most likely be more cost effective than semi-custom rifle build.

If you were to go ahead with building a rifle in 260, then you would have to find a donor rifle for the action, have it trued (if you are going to the expense of a new custom barrel) then get a custom barrel and custom stock, etc.

I would look at some other manufactures besides Remington for the build. Would cost you same if not less money (Stiller Preditor or Kelby Atlas) and have a very high quality action as a resut. Both are around $700, which is less than a donor rifle and cost of quality smith work to true it.

I have had great success with Krieger barrels, but there are several other excellent barrelmakers. Costs about $325 and up for blank. You will have to have someone chamber, headspace and fit it for you. The cost of that depends on the smith.

Then you have a custom stock. Hopefully one that has a full length bedding block. Otherwise, you will need to have someone pillar and glass bed the action.

The list goes on and on...

But the point of the story is that when you get into the custom rifle game, it is expensive. There are those who would put $2000 set of tires/rims on a $500 car, but you still have a $500 dollar car.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts