CANON - 10x42 L IS Image Stabilized

1tonpower

Is anyone useing these, or used them in the past. I just aquirred apair and looking for some feed back if there are worth keeping.

I have the 12x36 IS bino. I think it's a bit heavy and bulky. Stabilization works by rotating a prism, which causes color fringing when you make a large movement. I find that a bit annoying. Otherwise, it seems to work well. My wife loves it. If it wasn't her favorite bino, I would probably sell it.

For most people, a 10X bino doesn't have excessive image jitter. Unless you have shaky hands, image stabilization isn't doing much. The 10x42 IS model is about 10 oz heavier than a conventional bino. Merely adding 10 oz of weight to a conventional 10x42 bino would also reduce shaking somewhat.

I think the best IS model is the 15x50 IS bino. There the image stabilization really helps.

I also have a pair of Fujinon 7x50 with mils bar. I use them often. Ill use the, side by side for a while and if i find i dont need them then i woll offer them for sale of trade them for something i need more

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.