can you tell me what's happened to these?

fieldsj66

these cases have powder around throat and a few have vertical cracks.

is this a problem? with cases? with gun?

these were factory loaded winchester ballistic silvertips in 150g out of a .300wsm

32311007.jpg
[/IMG]
32311001.jpg
[/IMG]

Either your chamber has an extra generous throat (measure the neck diameter of a fired round) or brittle brass.

something is really wrong when a factory round splits like that.I have never seen a split case from the first fireing.thats if I read your post right.

seems to have been bad brass.ket winshester know and see what goes of it.

You don't say if that's once fired stuff or reloaded several times but the cracks occur because the necks are too hard ("brittle"), not because of the pressure and very rarely directly because of the chamber itself.

measure each case's neck thickness. Are the cracked cases thinner?

Measure neck outside diameter of fired case. Compare with expected values. If too large then chamber is suspect.

Finally, trash the nickel stuff and get brass. My opinion is that there is nothing good about 'silver' cases other than looks...

It's just disposable factory brass & NOT reloading brass.
No big deal, just throw it away after use.

Go to any Red Communist China Walmart and have em pull a box of remington ammo. Slide em out of the box & you can find one or two(easily) that will obviously split on firing. You might even find one or two among several boxes that are already split..

I think he is just calling walmart a bunch of commies...I agree. anyway, I have 4 out of 2 boxes (40 rounds) of remington factory 375 RUM ammo that the brass did the same thing. I figured it was brittle brass

That looks like typical performance from Winny WSM brass! I don't use the stuff in my WSM's, the Rem WSM brass is much better and the Norma is top shelf.

Boomtube, I don't know where the commies get all they undermine America with..
And I do hope to see every Walmart, including the family, burned to the ground one day.

But anyway, there is nothing wrong with WSM reloading brass. Necks won't split with it.

"I think he is just calling walmart a bunch of commies..."

Well, everyone is free to 'call' anyone anything they wish but fact is Walmart and Sam Walton are pure market capitalism, about as far from anything 'commie' as I can think of.

I think it's safe to say the Walton's have done the working class American more good, by stretching their few dollars as far as possible, than any other single business I know of. But, if your system of economics suggests the government be in controll and see that we all pay each other 'good salaries' even if a jug of milk has to sell for $10 and a pair of jeans goes for $100 , etc, then we could sure pay the salaries couldn't we? Fact is, we can't 'get' at each end of salary; income effects the cost of living for whatever that 'good salary' would be worth at the end of the week. :cool:

Seems those who think maybe we can spend and pay and get paid ever increasing dollars so we can all live like the rich usually vote for the Blue Party. ?? The rest of us shop at low cost places when we can, like Walmart. :rolleyes:

But, the answer to my question seems to be that "Red Communist China Walmart" and Remington ammo is that there is no connection at all; right?

he has yet said if it was new or loaded again for this to happen.and if its the case of new it should be called out to Winchester.( no matter what cal. it is )

if this would have happened to me I sure would let Winshester know.even nickel plated brass shouldn't have did this on the first time it was fired.just seems to odd for me.pics and real life cases like this just seem to add why I do not use win brass.

I guess I should be happy it wasn't me it happened to.but really think its wrong if it was new brass,or factory ammo.I haven't had to buy loaded rounds since 1998.no need when I roll my on and do not use win brass.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.