Can you Colorado guys help me out?

AtownBcat

My family is going to Colorado for a summer vacation. We are going to be between Durango and Silverton. It seems like as long as you are on goverment land you can shoot(providing it is safe of coarse). Can someone fill me in on what is nessassary to shoot (legal) in this area. Thanks

I live a little north of where your traveling, BLM and National Forest are OK to shoot but places like National Monuments and National Parks are off limits as far as I know. It probably wouldn't hurt to pick up the latest CO. Big Game hunting rules and regulations available at any sporting good's store, there's some legal information in there about gun do's and don'ts. Climb a 14teener if you can, nothing like being on top of the world! This was my first post, more or less. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. So the latest big game book will tell me what kind of land is what, park,forest, blm....and so on.

Nope I sure don't, Silver Creek is just a canyon next to my house that I shoot in. I am a guide tho... Do I need to change my screen name??? If so I will right away.

Mike

I live in CO and have recently bought the Colorado Hunting Map from "Hunting GPS Maps". I loaded it on a Garmin Montana and love it. You always know the legal status of the land around you; BLM, N. Forest, private, etc. It even shows the owners name for private land.

For anyone hunting/hiking/shooting public lands it important to know where the boundaries are. Once we started carrying it we found in years past we had crossed private in places and places where land owners wrongly blocked access. I have no experience in other states but in CO there are little chunks of private land surrounded by public land, old 'improved mining claims, homesteads, etc where physical boundaries aren't obvious.

Jack

Jackem, I agree. I am the first ever dealer for that map product and I use it every time I head out west.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.