Can the .308 offer me Varmint, Tactical, medium game?

grey2112

OK, before I invest in two or more bolt action rifles (.308, .223, et. al.) could the .308, loaded by hand with various bullet weights, powders, etc., serve the purpose of a long-range Tactical rifle, a long-range Varmint rifle, and a good medium game rifle?

Would it require me to have different scopes, then, to track properly with the loads for Varmint vs. Tactical vs. Game?

I always have more scopes than rifles, so that wouldn't be a problem if I had to do it that way.

However, if the .308 won't do the trick as a Varmint rifle, should I get the ever-popular and ubiquitous .223, or some other whiz-bang round?

I have done that with 308 with decent results. The scope is the tricky part, but a 4-12, 4.5-14, or 4-16 or such should do. I kinda like the one-gun-one-load thing. Its how you get good. The only really limiting factor I found was passing up some groundhogs that didn't have enough hill behind them. I also used one load (180 BT's) for everything.

I am thinking of doing a similar thing, but with 6XC.

Rick

Hi grey2112 ,
Yes, the 308Win can serve in all three roles within reason. It's a great caliber.
You should only need one scope and personally the less I have to change scopes the better.
Currently am using a Leupold 4.5-14x50LR w/MilDots on my 308.
It shoots the 175gr Sierra Matchking over VARGET with acceptable accuracy. For groundhogs, I've found they will pencil on through on some shots and then blow up on the next. And you really need to watch your backstop.
Now I'm testing the Wildcat 169.5gr ULD RBBT HP bullets on groundhogs. Am told they are constructed a little light for deer but should do well on chucks. For now, I'm shooting heavy bullets so I'll know my rifle better when it comes time for deer season. Have also used 110gr Vmax bullets over VARGET and they will flip a groundhog end over end when hit just right. Usually a DRT one shot stop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Go here for my rifle: Link
But, you may want to seriously consider getting a 223 VSF. then you're covered for both short and long range. And, ya can never have enough guns... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I load my .308 with Sierra 168 grain MatchKings, and use a Leupold 4.5X14X40 Vari-X III. It's a good combination, and I buy the Siera bullets in lots of 1000 at Camp Perry during the National championships, when you can get the best prices.

I also use a .308 with Leupold 4.5x14x40. Absolutly my favorite all around gun and scope. I have succesfully shot mule deer with it and it can easily shoot .5" groups off a bench at 100 yards. Just keep in mind that it is not a rifle that I like to lug around long distance (14.5 pounds). If the terrain is mountainous and I am going to be hiking alot, I take a different rifle. Also I use accubonds when I hunt deer with this gun. So you will have to be proficiant with at least two rounds.

155gr Amax over Varget or Benchmark lit by a CCI BR2 or Fed 210M primer, stuffed in Lee collet neck sized/fireformed Win brass.

Little reason this combo can't shoot 1/2" or better. No issue with LR stability as I have shot this combo to 1450yds.

No issue with anchoring a deer using broadside shots from off the muzzle to 650yds or so. Blew through a 5/16" steel gong at 385yds a few years back. I think that is enough penetration for my needs.

Varmints, well that depends on how big/tough they are. Lethal yes, blow up - maybe.

There you go. One load for everything you want to do.

Jerry

Grey2112,

The tactical and medium game function is easy.

If you want a screaming varmint load, send Richard Graves at Wildcat Bullets an e-mail and ask about his 68 gr HP flat base bullets in .308". I have some and they shoot under 3/4 moa in a couple rifles I have tested them in and they will produce velocities up there with the 22-250 with a 50 to 55 gr bullet easily.

They are also much longer then you would expect a 68 gr 308 bullet to be.

Drop him an e-mail at [email protected]

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.