Can anyone tell me what this is?

You depress the trigger and push down and the little barbs at the bottom spring outView attachment 501475View attachment 501476
I believe it is for lifting hay bales up into the top of a barn. It is heavy so that it can go farther into the bale when it is dropped from up high, then the whole thing is lifted with a block & tackle up into the haymow. (Haymow is the opening you can see in some older photos of barns.)

It's a "Water Witch"!
If Bob - "Cornshank" (LRH Member) could look at it probably can tell us what it is.
Oh man I forgot about all of cornshanks random barn finds! That was an entertaining season of life, all of our best (or maybe not) minds working to figure out what he had stumbled upon this time!!!

If I recall i hypothesized that they were all some kind of medieval torture instruments and suggested to everyone that if corn shank invited you to a "barn party" DO NOT GO IN THERE!! 🤣

Neighbor, in my youth had a dairy farm and a huge hip roof barn 4 level in addition to a modern milking parlor and he put up his hay loose and bailed.
Horse drawn flat stackers and then early square and later tractor operated equipment even thrashing machines when he put up oats and barley.
It was hard back breaking long days...I think back on it now and it was some of the best experiences I ever had.

Children of the Corn would of had a field day with all the sharp implements in the storage loft.

Oh....I didn't tell anyone but the thirty point buck was hiding out in the back forty just to the left of the still....

Some ranch hands are built like Sylvester Stallone 40 years ago.
When I was learning some basic farm work at about 16 the old feller running the ranch was named Wayne. Big old raw boned fella who looked like what John Wayne wanted to be. I had already bucked a fair amount of hay by then and was good at it, and in shape, but that old man put me to shame. He'd take a three stringer in each hand (80-100 pound alfalfa bales typically) and pitch them up onto the trailer, 4-5 high. One after another, no slowing down or stopping, just tossing these baileys one handed like they were nothing. I miss that old boy. When I left the farm I never saw him again.