Can a new ejector cause and ejector swipe on brass without being over pressure?

atl5029

During load development for my Savage 260 AI, I pushed it a bit too hard and had a round that was way too over pressure...it blew out the primer and the hot gasses gas cut my bolt face and decimated my ejector spring. I consider myself lucky on that front and won't be trying that again. I bought a new bolt head, ejector, ejector spring, and extractor, and had my gunsmith install it and reheadspace the barrel as well as look the gun over for any other damage I may have missed. During round two of load development, I have been getting ejector swipes on my brass with charges that showed little if any pressure signs during round one. Can this be caused simply by my new ejector - either the spring being new and quite stiff, or the ejector sticking out of the hole a little too much, or the ejector bottoming out when chambering a round? Anyone else see this before?

Thanks!

The ejector it's self will/can be pushed below the bolt face if installed correctly and should not mark the case head.

The ejector Hole is the culprit because the higher pressure loads actually press some of the case
head in to the hole and when the bolt is rotated (The case does not move until the cam pulls the case out of the chamber)this "Bump" is shaved of by the edge of the hole its self.

Sounds like you still have a little to much pressure. It is possible to have this condition and still not have heavy bolt lift depending on the effectiveness of the bolt cam.

J E CUSTOM

The ejector it's self will/can be pushed below the bolt face if installed correctly and should not mark the case head.

The ejector Hole is the culprit because the higher pressure loads actually press some of the case
head in to the hole and when the bolt is rotated (The case does not move until the cam pulls the case out of the chamber)this "Bump" is shaved of by the edge of the hole its self.

Sounds like you still have a little to much pressure. It is possible to have this condition and still not have heavy bolt lift depending on the effectiveness of the bolt cam.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks,

I'll keep that in mind during round 3. I was using IMR 4831 and the charges were being compressed. Gonna try H4831SC which seems to be a favorite for this cartridge and see how it does.

Well, I would say it IS possible.
I have a tang safety Ruger that with the EXACT same load showed no signs of any pressure at all, 2 gr below book max, that suddenly got swipes with every cartridge fed into it. The culprit ended up being gunk in the ejector hole not allowing the ejector to fully depress. Cleaned it and the problem went away.
Try depressing the ejector with a thumb nail or small tool, if it doesn't fully depress, that's your problem.

Cheers.
gun)

J E CUSTOM

Yep.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.