Can a barrel be drilled out for a new caliber?

jb1023

I am looking to buy/build a new rifle. I currently have a Howa 1500 20" 308 and love it. I am now wanting to add a 7-08 so I can have a 7mm option that can be taken to a little further distances but without added recoil. In trying to stay with Howa I have found that they do sell a barreled action in 7-08 but it only comes with a #2 barrel and I want a #6 (heavy). I know I can do a barrel swap but I'm curious if I can take a smaller caliber barrel and have it tapped for a 7mm? If I found a used 243 or 6.5 for example would it be cheaper to reuse that barrel and have it drilled for the larger caliber, if even possible, or would I just be better off buying an new barrel? If I do have to do a barrel swap how much would I be looking at? Even if it is possible is there a reason I should avoid going this route? If I do have to buy a new barrel what would some good options be? I am not looking for anything fancy, just a blued 1/2-3/4 MOA capable 24" #6 barrel.

It wouldn't be cheaper, probably of very low quality, and I doubt a good barrel maker would do it.
They can instead make you a barrel of any contour(including custom).

jb1023,

Actually the existing process for the last 100 years has been called 're-boring' and it's a common practice for many shooters. It is definitely not a low quality endeavor. It's as high quality as an original top of the line barrel.

Do a search for barrel re-boring. I know that Classic Barrels and Gunworks is a provider and great people to work with.

Regards.

Well, it would only be worth having an existing ( they call it a "take off" barrel) rebored/fitted, etc IF you got it for free or less than $75. A good new barrel, from Shilen, will only cost around $175. A rebore will cost you around $225 or so. Then you still have to have it fitted, bedded, etc. You are normally looking at having a good rebarrel job around $550. You might find a deal on an existing rifle for less on gunbroker or one of the auction sites. The "search/planning" are half the fun for us gun cranks anyhow! ha Good luck to you Pard.

jb1023,

Re-boring is usually reserved for older barrels which have some reason to have their exteriors preserved after the interior has been shot out or ruined. Example; octagon barrels, 1/2 round/1/2 octagon, special gunsmith or dedication on the original exterior.

You can also use a takeoff barrel but you need to check timing and headspace first.

It makes no sense to buy a new barrel and pay to have it re-bored when you could just as easily buy a new barrel and have it threaded and chambered the way you want it.

Be aware that on any barrel re-bored you will lose one inch from the muzzle.

Here is the explanation from Classic Barrels with FAQs:

Reboring

Regards.

Thanks guys. I think I will just search for the lowest cost used gun I can find, with the appropriate length action, and likely replace everything else. I've seen some Howa 1500 LA guns for $300-350 and SA for $350-400. Not sure why the discrepancy but anyway. If I can find a SA for $300 I will pick it up and build my 7-08. If not then I will likely pick up a LA and go with a 7LRM perhaps.

Well, it would only be worth having an existing ( they call it a "take off" barrel) rebored/fitted, etc IF you got it for free or less than $75. A good new barrel, from Shilen, will only cost around $175. A rebore will cost you around $225 or so. Then you still have to have it fitted, bedded, etc. You are normally looking at having a good rebarrel job around $550. You might find a deal on an existing rifle for less on gunbroker or one of the auction sites. The "search/planning" are half the fun for us gun cranks anyhow! ha Good luck to you Pard.
Hey Rev, Where should I look for a barrel? I'm not seeing prices even close to $175.

jb1023,

Call my gunsmith...Ray Frederico at 801 964 6846 he can get that ( or close to it) if he does the job.

Be careful choosing the less expensive barrels. Often the quality is spotty even though a few folks will claim spectacular accuracy from just one or two samples. Quality barrels cost good money for a reason, cheaper barrels are cheap for a reason. There is no such thing as a silk purse from a sow's ear. High quality barrels cost money and are not sold cheaply.

Now, on the other hand, not every shooter needs the best barrel possible and could very well get along with a second tier barrel for their uses. Just don't expect a 1/4 MOA barrel for a bargain basement price. It isn't going to happen.

Good Luck with your search!

jb1023,

Be careful choosing the less expensive barrels. Often the quality is spotty even though a few folks will claim spectacular accuracy from just one or two samples. Quality barrels cost good money for a reason, cheaper barrels are cheap for a reason. There is no such thing as a silk purse from a sow's ear. High quality barrels cost money and are not sold cheaply.

Now, on the other hand, not every shooter needs the best barrel possible and could very well get along with a second tier barrel for their uses. Just don't expect a 1/4 MOA barrel for a bargain basement price. It isn't going to happen.

Good Luck with your search!

Thank you for the reply Sable. Yeah, I am certainly not expecting to get a 1/4 MOA rifle out of this build. Then again I am just a 1 MOA shooter at the moment. If I can build a rifle that is capable of 1/2-3/4 MOA that I can grow into for under $1000, not counting glass, will be a happy man. I have a B&C Varmint on my 308 and really like that stock for the price I paid and will likely put one on this gun too.

Howa sells barreled actions for $485 and if they carried/made a 7mm in a #6 contour I'd be done already. The problem is Howa does not sell any 7mm #6 barrels, only #2. I even called Legacy Sports yesterday to see if they could do custom orders, nope.

A local gunsmith (HTC), who has a very good online rep, publishes his prices on his site.
New Barrel (includes blueprinting action) $725
Install Customer Barrel $225
True Action $175

Based on his prices I am looking at:
B&C stock $250
Used action $350
Sub Total $600

Then we have the barrel options:
Option 1
HTC made barrel installed/trued $725
Option 1 Total $1325

Option 2
Shilen barrel (what I am finding online) $350
HTC does install $225
Option 2 Total $1175

Option 3 (Will be calling and doing research on him today)
Night Owl Shilen barrel $175ish
Night Owl labor $???
Option 3 Total $775ish plus labor

Option 2 and 3(?) does not include truing the action. How important is that since this is not a match rifle?

I would suggest saving some money for a while to improve the quality of your build. Right now IMO the best barrel for the money is Rock Creek, the barrel is the heart of your rifle and it's worth saving for a little longer to get a good quality one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts