Camp food ideas?

I'll say this about some of you fellas. U all are light years of what I had in camp on the prepared end of it for food. Heck some of these meals are better than what I eat at home. Lol. Great job fellas on the little things in life.
Good luck to the season ahead.
Don't forget the most important thing in camp ...... TP
Ha ha, TP is in all our cars and supplies. Hate it when the only TP has 3 leaflets.

Buy some military MREs (Meals Ready to Eat). You don't need a camp fire to heat them. They don't need refrigeration. Just need a little water to activate heat. They are very tasty and lots to eat with many calories for mountain climbing. They include entre, dessert, snack, condiments, etc. If you get snowed in, you can cook them in your truck, tent, etc without asphyxiation. They store and transport easily. No dishes to clean or pots to haul around and clean. Saves a lot of weight. You'll thank me once you use them and spend more time hunting and less time cooking and cleaning and hauling ice chests.

Last edited:
1/2 ground beef with 1/2 ground lamb, a great base for many quick meals. Flour with 10% cornmeal, makes an easy dredge. A pot of beans set in the morning coals is cooked perfectly come sundown. Taters in foil.
My daughter and I collect acorns, dry and grind. A bit of suet and dried meat makes a great pemmican that'll tide you over for hours while walking the woods.
And a good vacuum machine. Saves space, easy to empty and heat. Makes for a great selection.
I am saving a bunch of your ideas, it looks as if I have been short sighted and restrictive in my cooking habits.

I used to make acorn flour, never made pemican with it, I'll have to try it. Post your recipe if you can. I used to make meat, and dried berry pemican with fat and id season the meat with salt and juniper berries and pepper and dry it. I would stuff it into cheese cloth and pack into wooden tea boxes and let it age. It was surprisingly good. I got the recipe from a magazine, can't remember which one. Might have been National Geographic or Yankee Magazine/New England Journal can't remember.

Another good thing to buy is Trailmix. Put it in your pocket and carry it with you while hunting. Makes a great lunch on the side of the mountain. Again, no cooking, more hunting and no scent to scare animals.

Pork butt-- cook, shred and freeze! Can have it with canned beans, make it into tacos or 'carnitas' and will work with dang near any side you cook!!

Also- we used the instant Cous Cous this year in Colorado high county. Super lightweight, cooks up incredibly fast and is great for mixing things up a little bit! Made for a great side that didn't take long when we were exhausted back at camp in the evenings.

Here's an idea that has become tradition in our camp; kebabs. I pack all of the fixings except the meat. Then when someone makes the first kill the backstraps and tenderloin go into a marinade bag which of course is optional but I've become a big fan of the Jack Daniels marinade bags because they're easy to pack and are delicious. Season the meat, or don't, however you like but then it's as simple as cutting up the peppers, onions, mushrooms, or whatever you like and grill them over your camp fire or stove. If you forget skewers no problem, I've whittled tree branches and even deconstructed barb wire chunks for a single piece of wire. If you're planning on it for a meal it puts a little pressure to not get skunked but there really isn't any meal much more gratifying than filling your family and friends bellies with meat you harvested that day.

I used to make acorn flour, never made pemican with it, I'll have to try it. Post your recipe if you can. I used to make meat, and dried berry pemican with fat and id season the meat with salt and juniper berries and pepper and dry it. I would stuff it into cheese cloth and pack into wooden tea boxes and let it age. It was surprisingly good. I got the recipe from a magazine, can't remember which one. Might have been National Geographic or Yankee Magazine/New England Journal can't remember.

Going by memory as I didn't write it down. I picked up some juniper berries last week, I'll try your suggestion.
Acorn flour, powder dried meat, suet. 1:1:1/2. Too much suet it will melt, need enough to bind.
The batch I made a few years ago is still tasty and nourishing. A 2x3x1/2 inch piece will keep my belly happy all day.

So our group is headed to Wyoming soon to hunt elk. We are tent camping and plan to bring cooked meals to heat up. So far, we have thought of tacos, taco soup, chili, sloppy Joe's, spaghetti, cowboy stew, and hotdogs. We plan to cook most the meals, freeze them, and just reheat.

What other meal ideas have y'all done? Any good meals we can add?

Thanks,

DoubleG
Sounds like you have it pretty much covered, only thing I'd add would be King Ranch Chicken..(it was a huge hit with my group)

I tend to stay away from the spicy foods, every living thing will smell you within a couple of miles. After being in the boonies for a couple of weeks I avoided an ambush because I could smell what the guys had been eating. One good MRE a day supplemented by some protein snacks! I'm too **** busy hunting to worry about eating much.

I'll tell you one thing to AVOID, namely high sodium freeze-dried foods like most Mountain House meals.

Why do these companies use do much sodium? Because it's so much cheaper than using the proper spices for flavoring.

I will say I love fresh (day of kill) deer liver fried with onions. Mmmmm

Eric B.

I don't tent camp so at a bit of a loss with recommendations. What I do with the menu is try to make dishes that with ingredients that can be used for making other meals with. I hve a breakfast recipe where I saute onions, fresh mushrooms, potato, dried tomato, chopped ham until the potato is cooked then cover those ingredients with eggs and then cheese and bake the combination in a 9 X 14 baking dish. When the dish is cooked I cut the omelette into equal squares and freeze; this dish is easy to heat up in aluminum foil, can be used for any meal or even sandwiches. One suggestion was ham, and.....you can be very creative with ham from a breakfast meat, omelettes (again for any meal), sandwiches, dinner with another veggie, and really doesn't require a lot of ice to keep it from spoiling. I also like a meatloaf for either sandwiches or for a dinner itself. I like meatballs and sausage for sandwiches or for sauce for pasta, or....you can add some beef bouillon, water, celery, carrots and pasta (yes it's creative but it works and breaks up the menu). American chop suey is another great meal, quick, easy to heat up, and goes a long way; don't freeze the pasta as it turns into mush!!! We bear hunt and usually we will have an early breakfast, lunch around 12:00, shower, get dressed and go out hunting. Sometimes we get in well after 10:00, at that time I am not in a mood for any hot, cooked meal and happy with PB&J, meatloaf/ham sandwich and a glass of milk. PB&J is always a staple and can be used for any meal. We purchase a trail mix and add what we like for fruit, chocolate/M&Ms. I like a lot of the ideas of dried, packaged, prepared meals, however I think that I would want to try them before I selected a particular brand. Some really great hunting menus/meals on this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.