Calibre's to suit Sako L691 Action

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by skip AI, Nov 15, 2006.

1. skip AI

skip AI Well-Known Member

Calibre\'s to suit Sako L691 Action

What calibres can I use in my Sako L691 Action (with new barrel of course)?
    It currently takes its ammo with a OAL of 83.62mm or 3.292".
    So what is a reccomended long range hunting cal to suit the action that will sufficiantly take medium sized deer out to 800m?

cheers

2. GSPointer

GSPointer Active Member

Re: Calibre\'s to suit Sako L691 Action

I just had a 6.5x284 Norma built on the very same action but I dont know if it will take another long action calibre. The bolt face would be the only issue I guess .473?

3. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Skip I have one in 300 Win mag with a 25" medium Palma conture Obermeyer barrel 1-11 twist , it shoot the 190gr Berger VLD's scary accurate at over 3100fps , I know that fast for that caliber but this barrel just shoots fast.
    I woulden't hesitate to shoot a deer at 1200yds with it.

these actions are awsome , super smooth and realy rigid I don't know why they stoped making them.

4. GSPointer

GSPointer Active Member

I agree it is a good action, I think its better than the 75 action which I have 3 of. But the L691 still feels the better of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will a 300 go on that bolt face or will it need opening up?

5. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

GSPointer , you have one of the L691 actions? If so could you please E-mail me I have a question for ya.

jjones75 AT bellsouth.net

6. skip AI

Thanks for the reply's, Its a shame no one imports Berger bullets into Australia, if they did I wouldnt need to get a new calibre but .257 has a poor selection of bullets that I want to work with (115gn) and its the windy season!
    I use the rifle alot fo varmints out to 400m under spotlight but I have recently been asked to help out in grassing some deer in the flat country! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    6.5X284 sounds good and .300win, Whats a reccomended barrel maker?
    I have a Browning A-Bolt in .300WSM that I use for deer stalking but Im not confident in taking a shot past 200m with it as I dont handload for it at the moment,
    and its only got a 2-7X33 Leupold on it.
    Can I see pics of your rifles if its no trouble?

cheers

7. timz

timz Member

Skip, in the 'guide to shooting in Australia', recently published by SSAA, RDT products (ie Tobler barrels) lists in their ad as importing berger projectiles. I haven't got around to it, but i plan to call them about some for my 204 ruger. RDT ph 0248851881 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. skip AI

Thats sweet mate, thanks for that, I will give them a yell and see if they have or can get me in a pack of 115gn VLD's.
    I was told from all places I rang that no one imports them.

anyway cheers.