Calibre help please

floyd

I am in the process of deciding on a calibre for my first custom rifle, It will be used mainly for longer distance (in the uk anyway) hunting of deer, and maybe some african plains game. Looking for a faast flat hard hitting round for deer upto 250lbs maximum something a bit different too, I have a 6.5x55 and a 308 already, I'm thinking along the lines of the 270wsm, 0r 7mm wsm, I like the sound of the allen mags, but am worried about barrel life and the possibility of getting cases/bullet in the uk. Also any recpommendations for action would be helpful, I am nearly decided on a NEsika, but am still open to advice.

So if any of you have any experience of the calibre or any other sugestions then please help.

I do not have any personal experience with either of these calibers, but in my opinion the 7mm would be the better choice. This is based on the bullet selection available to the handloader for the 7mm.

The 7 WSM is leading the pack- good bullet selection with high BC....availability....not too bad on recoil...I am / have built more 7 WSMs than I have 300 WSM....so that tells ya something ther..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Floyd,

For what your looking for the Allen Magnums would certainly get the job done but I feel they are really more then what your asking for with this new rifle.

Going from a 270 WSM to a 270 Allen Magnum is like going from a 300 WSM to a 30-378 in ballistic performance. I do not think you need that much Horsepower unless you simply want it on hand!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would agree with the 7mm WSM comments. There is nothing wrong with the ol 7mm Rem Mag either. Dispite some claims, it will still top the WSM in performance and is easy to get.

I have been building several rifles and handguns in the 7mm-270 WSM wildcat simply because guys want to use the fine Norma brass which is only offered in 270 and 300 WSM, not the slighly longer 7mm WSM and most do not want to deal with moving the shoulder forward, course if one used the 300 WSM brass it would be a simple task to form a secondary shoulder for headspace control for fireforming.

Again, while the Allen Magnums would offer you performance to an extreme level, I am not sure they are what you are really wanting in this rifle project. I may be wrong, if so let me know and I will offer some information on them.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

First off....it is your money you do what you want.

With that said, I really don't feel that you need a nesika action on hunting rifle. An excellent combo is the Rem 700 action with a Jewell trigger. The combo is going to be about half the cost of just the nesika action without a trigger.

In regards to your caliber question, you should first decide if you are wanting the fast possible performance on factory available ammo without going to the wildcat calibers. If that is the case, I would consider the 7mm STW or the .300 Ultra Mag. Both burn a lot of powder and have the recoil to prove it.

If I had to chose between the .270 and 7mm wsm, I would chose the 7mm for the higher ballistic coefficient and the ability to handle the 20-30gr heavier bullets. I currently shoot a Kimber Montana in 7mm wsm and have been pleased. I haven't found the perfect load for the super accurate results but it shoots excellent none the less.

Another caliber to consider that would be superb on the plains animals is the .257 Weatherby Mag. I am waiting patiently for mine be finished. 26" SS Shilen barrel, Rem 700 action, jewell trigger, teflon coating on all metals (barrel, action, rings/mounts), topped with a Leupold VX-3 6.5x20x40 lr scope. The .257 Wby will really reach out and touch the critters. With the right bullet, it would be fine for say Red Stag but I think I would want a little more gun.

you should show him a work up of your 7 on paper.Why drive a Yugo when you can have a Porche?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you should show him a work up of your 7 on paper.Why drive a Yugo when you can have a Porche?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the comparison should be more like a Hummer and a Jeep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.