Cab over camper for hunting.....

I think everyone's needs are different. My uncle had a camper when I was growing up and I remember it being pretty small for him and my two cousins.

For the three of us our trailer is perfect, not too big and not too small. 18.5 ft long and the two full size beds pop out so the inside space is not taken up by a bed. Fridge, furnace, A/C, kitchen, dining table, microwave, cabinets, shower and toilet, and it has a high ground clearance for off road.

It's especially confortable with a toddler, our son needs space when the bad weather hits and we have to go inside. We've been snowed on hard a few times and it has worked perfectly for us.

For one to two adults a camper might work, they come with a lot of cool options now.

My take has ALWAYS been 2 hunters MAX in a slide in camper. Just too much gear and not enough space. I' ve used my camper to travel to a guided hunt with 3 guys as long as 2 of them do not mind getting "cozy" in overhead. I ALWAYS took the bottom bunk from the dinette. This was to sleep in rest areas etc to save time and money traveling to a hunt. Worked OK. Except when the back guy had to take leak and climbed over a sleeping buddy and pushed down where he shouldn't have OMG! I couldn't get back to sleep from laughing!

I used to have a cab-over loved! Currently using an older Grandby Pop-up, A full day walking mountains and sleeping comfortably in a camper is where it's at! Early season though, a 4 season tent-cot-buddy heater is OK.

I have only seen one and loved it since the sides were solid which is huge benefit to keep snow and ice out of the "pop up" area. Little heavier but not by much. Seemed to be well built. I really liked their 8.5 since my bed is 8'.

I had a small pop-up camper on my F150 (it tied up the truck)
Sold it and bought a Used High-Low ,it tows easy and can sleep two.(good friends)
Has propane heat +cook stove/with oven.Use a generator to keep two batterys charged.
I use a contractors ladder rack that fits in the hitch of the truck.
I can lift an elk or smaller up to skin and break it down for cooler or just in the truck.
Can't do that if you have a camper in the truck.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are about using a cab over camper as a base camp for elk/deer hunting. I have used wall tents but looking for something a little more versatile that I can use for other recreational activities as well. Also, it would be nice to be able to tow my quad. Looking at a lance 825 as it is roomy and light. I have a F350 so the truck is not an issue.
After camping for years in a tent in late November in Upper Michigan, I decided to get into something easier. It needed to allow me to haul or tow quads. Had to be self contained also. Started out with an enclosed car hauler. Worked ok till near zero temps then inside corners contested then froze and ice melted causing problems. Then went to a 5th wheel. That because to much like a train hauling a trailer with quad and gear. My most recent and best camp is a pickup truck camper. 9.5' Starcraft fully equipped with everything needed for long stays in the woods. I take 8-20lb propane tanks and 60 gallons of water. I've been out for 4 weeks without ever leaving the woods for anything. Unfortunately the camper fell this spring causing the from jacks to break off the front of the camper. High winds combined with soft ground from frost leaving. I need to rebuild both corners bit it'll be better than ever once finished. This is the hunting camp I'll use as long as I can hunt. I had a hybrid 50/50 enclosed/open bed trailer built for the occasion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201110-112648.png
    Screenshot_20201110-112648.png
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 33
How does it do in cold weather?
If that question is for me, it's great in sub zero temps. Gets a tiny bit of frost on the door edges from condensation that freezes but expected with those temps. I run a fan inside on real cold nights that keeps heat circulating in that area so no frost or freezing. Last year I cut some 1" thick foam board to fit the windows. I used alot less propane with them over the windows. I lost light inside the camper but I'm in the woods from 6am to 6pm so when I return, it's dark outside. Same when I leave in the morning. I keep the temp around 64 during daytime IF I'm at camp. Around 60 at night. While away, it's set at 50

Last edited:
Thanx VLD. Is it a four season? Do you run water and keep water in your system while hunting?
Good question. I can't answer the 4 season question. I'd say no. I put shark bite shut offs on my water lines going back to my bathroom/shower so I can shut them off during November hunts. I do use the fresh water tank to the kitchen sink as it doesn't freeze. I have vents in the walls that the holding tank is in so heat gets in. The water lines IMO would freeze in sub zero temps if they had water in them going back to the bathroom. I use the toilet tho. I just pour water in the bowl to flush it. Antifreeze in the tank keeps it from freezing. If temps aren't going to be below the teens very often, I'll open the valves for water to the bathroom and use it. I just prefer to keep that area winterized by November so I don't have to winterize when I get home late November.

I had a Hallmark Guanella for years. Spent over 350 nights in it (at last count). Mounted to my 98 Dodge 24V diesel. This was base camp hunting elk somewhere near Boulder MT. 4 guys in the wall tent and me in my truck camper.

c2vkPsG.jpg

And then a blizzard rolled in. They all left and went home for 2 days until after the storm passed. I was nice 'n comfy and rode out the storm. I wanted to be out when it broke to catch animals moving.

yFbdcU9.jpg

-10 no problems. We took that rig everywhere- Fam of 4.

V2Qs6Vy.jpg

I used that cab over A LOT during bird season. I would 'shoot and scoot' with the dogs (and they loved the camper too).
1K9dCap.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts