CA Traverse...left hand shooter

Bravo 4

Have been eyeballing some of the .338 Lapua Christensen Arms rifles and I really like the looks and light weight of the Traverse. However looking at close up pictures of the stock it looks like the high-rolled comb, though probably very fitting a right hand shooter as designed, has more of a sharp ridge that would probably be very uncomfortable (if not down right unusable) for a lefty...especially under the heavy recoil I'd expect from a lightweight .338 Lapua. Can anyone that has/had one confirm this?
Thanks

Are you a lefty? Or just want it to be shootable for a lefty? Hmm. It does look like it would be somewhat sharp...I know I shoot my cousin's rifle that is a Boyds right handed thumbhole and has a very sharp cheek area for a lefty and it is fine to deal with, but it is a braked .270 Sherman, so significantly less recoil. My buddies 11.5 lb .338 NM in an EH-1A doesn't have any more felt recoil than a sporter .243/6.5 cm, but it does this weird thing where it almost stings your cheek, like it's slapping you, even with a solid cheek weld. If it was sharp like that CA Traverse appears to be, I could see where that could be a problem.

On a different note....do you know if CA uses the same actions for the .338 bolt face cartridges that they do with their other ones? Or are the Lapua/Norma rifles upgraded with a .750" bolt? Just curious, I haven't found an answer yet....

Yep I'm a lefty.
I had called them and asked about their 338 actions, if they were any different then their standard action. I was told they were the same. I asked him about the stainless actions having any setback in the lugs, he told me they had shot thousands of rounds through their actions without a single problem. When asked about their actions holding up to in improved version or the XC cartridge he said he doesn't see why not. If I went with a stainless 700 (exact) clone, as he stated this was, I don't know about an improved chamber or venturing into the larger XC cartridge. Plus, as you are doing, I would not try to turn this rifle into something it is not. I would run it at moderate pressures and not try to hot rod it. This rifle would probably be used more for hunting than anything as I am sure the recoil alone would not make it totally enjoyable for long shooting sessions.

That is interesting, and a little more reassuring to hear for sure. Hopefully someone that has one and has shot it left handed can chime in, that high rollover comb would have me questioning it for left hand use. I wonder if any of your shops around there would have one you could shoulder?

He did say they are expanding their left hand lineup later this year but didn't know what models and chamberings would be available.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts