C.T Silver Tip

Jim Hundley

I was given a box of the C.T.Silver tip bullets,168gr.,.308 cal. and would like to try them.However, I am reluctant to shoot them through my new Hart SS match barrel.I was told by Hart to never shoot a coated bullet through their barrel.This coating on the Silver Tip is Lubralox and not moly.In your collective opinions,will the black "paint-Lubralox" be harmful.Will it be easy to clean?
Thank you,
Jimmy

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe the warning against coated bullets is geared towards moly because of it's corrosive effects when it comes into contact w/ moisture. I've heard many talk of this but, I haven't seen any results in person.

Hope that helps.

Reloader

Jimmy,

The coating on the Ballistic Silvertips is really not a coating at all. It is a surface treatment that through an oxidation process darkens the bullet surface giving it the black color.

IT is not a coating that will come off in your barrel. This surface treatment is supposed to harden the surface of the bullet slightly compared to a conventional bullet.

A harder surface will produce less friction as it is forced down the bore.

The main reason most top end barrel makers tell you not to use moly bullets in their fine, hand lapped barrels is simply this, there is no reason to!

If the barrel is properly broken in and cleaned regularly as it should be, there simply will not be a copper fouling issue to deal with.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
I should have consulted you in the first place.I thought I would e-mail you,but didn't want to bother you with trivia.
So, are you saying that it is OK for me to shoot these bullets.Believe me when I say that I keep my barrels clean.I am most concerned with that,because I think it will add to the barrel life and accuracy.
If I shoot the Silver Tip and clean properly with Oasso or JB,then I should be ok???I just want to try them,not a steady diet.
Thanks,
Jimmy

Jimmy,

Since the black on the bullet is only oxidized guilding copper, if it leaves any fouling in the bore it will be no different then any other copper jacketed bullet and it cna be removed with normal cleaning.

I have used them for years and never had a build up problem of any kind because there is nothing to build up except copper.

Never worry about dropping me an e-mail, I love talking guns and shooting and anything associated with it. I do not know everything for sure but if I do not know something we will certainly figure it out.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.