Buying Firearms at Auction

DennisPA

I have a auction coming up in my area with a 35 whelen on the list that I'm intersted in. My question is have any of you had luck getting a good deal on firearms at auction? Is it worth the time to go? Or is it better to find what I want at a local shop. Thanks

Interestingly, I have a pending bid on 2 S&W 9mm revolvers, never fired, in consecutive serial numbers and a Stoeger side by side Itallian manufactured Coach shotgun as well as a WW2 9mm German officers luger with 2 extra magazines and holster, in excellent condition I might add.

I buy guns at auction regularly. Not your average farm type auction, but rather International Auction houses. I want one, a condition report and two, a qualified appraiser/examiner to quantify the firearm. I also want to see the firearms personally, if possible, prior to the sale.

Expect the bidding to be frantic, most live farm type auctions have bidders that don't really know what a firearm is worth and get stupid.

I collect so I go into any auction with a maximum price I will pay, predetermined ahead of time and I don't exceed that. Ever. I've gotten some very good to excellent condition collectable firearms and I've been way outbid too.

Be prepared to have the funds available when the sale is concluded. I'm on file with all major auction houses with a Credit Card number and assigned bidders number so it's just a matter of bidding, either online, or by FAX or in person. The necessary paperwork (with the exception of the FFL transfer forms (for modern firearms) is taken care of.

If you want to get into vintage collectable guns, I suggest getting a Class 3 C&R permit. That eliminates all the paperwork on collectable firearms (as listed on the BATF catalog sheets).

I look at firearms as an investment, much like gold. So long as you don't get caught in the heat of the moment and remain calm, you can usually buy a firearm that will only appreciate in value.

Just as an FYI.

Expect the bidding to be frantic, most live farm type auctions have bidders that don't really know what a firearm is worth and get stupid.
The last "on scene" auction I attended was billed as a "firearms auction", I guess because that's all that was to be auctioned. Lots and lots of real common stuff that sold for way too much. I went only because there was a Spreewerk P38 and a Krieghoff Luger listed. I got there early so I could inspect. The Luger was a "parts gun", not a serial number matched on that pistol, the P38 was no better. Both looked like they'd been run over with a half track. Keep in mind, this was about 12 years ago,,,,,, the Luger sold for $1350,,,,,,, the P38 went for $1200. It was plumb stupid! I haven't been to that sort of auction since! I won't waste my time!

Auctions tend to bring out the worst in people. What I mean by that is they seem to forget what the object is actually worth as they keep bidding higher and higher. I have found a few good deals over the years. That's what usually keeps me going back to them. Bad weather and winter always keeps the crowds down too.

I have also found a few good deals at yard sales. I once found a nice Marlin 39A that a guy sold me for $150.

Jim

The last "on scene" auction I attended was billed as a "firearms auction", I guess because that's all that was to be auctioned. Lots and lots of real common stuff that sold for way too much. I went only because there was a Spreewerk P38 and a Krieghoff Luger listed. I got there early so I could inspect. The Luger was a "parts gun", not a serial number matched on that pistol, the P38 was no better. Both looked like they'd been run over with a half track. Keep in mind, this was about 12 years ago,,,,,, the Luger sold for $1350,,,,,,, the P38 went for $1200. It was plumb stupid! I haven't been to that sort of auction since! I won't waste my time!

I avoid all local gun shows/swap meets like a bad date..... because all the 'dealers' there are selling their junk. I ocassionally go (grudgingly and with lunch provided) with my attorney friend because he still is under the assumption (false) that a bargain is to be found. It isn't. He's bought some real lu-lu's like a 223 Ruger Mini 14 that I swear was shooting around a corner... It never printed on the paper even at 25 feet, Great buy.

Sort of like a farm auction *which I go to BTW because I farm so I'm always looking for that implement that was actuallhy greased ocassionally in it's lifetime.... farmers are poor maintainers of anything for the most part, guns included. Seen some real 'bargains' at farm auctions.....

The auctions I attend in person and online to are mostly estate liquidations put on by international auction houses so it's collectors collections and it's usually high end, rare stuff, like the 9mm Smith's and the Itallian side by side.

One problem with firearms at auction is that Federal Firearms regulations prohibit Internet viewing or advertising on bid firearms for sale to the public (at live auction) so it's always a pre bid via description scenario and I only bid on guns that I know are quantified by appraisers that I trust. The 9mm Luger is mint BTW. Pre-bid or in person with a paddle.....

It is fun and I like older modern firearms and older old firearms too. Keep in mind that it can get spendy pretty quick so it helps to have deep pockets going in.

I bought my favorite S&W 44 magnum L frame at an auction in bristol condition with just a slight holster wear on the muzzle and it's an excellent handgun for deer. Original square butt wood grips and partridge front sight. Got the Bianchi holster too.

I don't limit my auction purchases to guns, I'm a collector of Kerman pattern hand made Persian rugs, Chinese Palace urns and high end gemstones.... not diamonds.

I told my wife that when I pass on, she'll have one helluva sale.....:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.