buying a action

Welderboy11972

Hey guys I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me before I drive an hour to buy a surgeon action.

This morning I went up to a small gun show in Pennsdale. I was looking for a couple of used actions for some builds I'm starting. After I didn't find much, I left and stopped by a place in Montoursville just to check out their new store. After talking to the guy working, I find out that they keep surgeon actions in stock. I decided to drop 1300 on a new action. He went back got the action and ask for my license to start the paperwork. That's when he noticed I live in Ohio. He said he not sure but he thinks he has to ship the action to my ffl in Ohio. He was sure that all AR lower recivers has to be sent to an ffl in my home state. After a few attempts of trying to get an answer he told me to call him back on Tuesday that he would find out. I'm thinking that the reason an AR lower has to be sent to a ffl in my home state is because it can be made into a pistol. Before I take an early day from work and drive an hour to go pay for the surgeon action does it have to be sent to my ffl in ohio? If that's how it is, I'll just hold out and order a Defiance action.

I don't know if there is a state specific rule that applies, but I routinely buy rifles, and shotguns from dealers FFL's across the Idaho line.

If it can be turned into a pistol, as has been said then ffl to ffl will be needed.

I didn't think there would be an issue. I've bought 2-ar15...3-rifles...2-shotguns and a 1911. All in Pa over the last 2 years that I've been working up here. The 1911 had to be shipped to my ffl in Ohio cause its a handgun. I never gave it a second thought about buying a action up here because I've bought all the others. I guess I'm learning something every day.

I think it needs to be sent to an FFL because it isn't a rifle yet. It's still just an action. It could be turned into a riflfe or pistol just like the AR lower.

Here's a quote form BATFE FAQ:

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

It has to go to an FFL just like the lower.

They are both serialized actions.

BTW, the Surgeon could also be turned into a pistol.:D

+1 if you're out of state it has to be sent to a FFL in your state to legally purchase it.

Check the quote I posted. You can make an out of state over the counter purchase of rifles or shotguns if the state laws don't prevent it.

What states allow that? I move around a lot and haven't encountered one. Thats good to know information. Thanks for the help.

I know here in Pa out of state can buy long guns over the counter. I'm almost positive it's like that in all but the commie states. Also, yes a reciever/action is not considered a rifle until it has something, such as a stock, that identifies it as such. You also have to be 21 to purchase as they are not long guns yet.

I know here in Pa out of state can buy long guns over the counter. I'm almost positive it's like that in all but the commie states. Also, yes a reciever/action is not considered a rifle until it has something, such as a stock, that identifies it as such. You also have to be 21 to purchase as they are not long guns yet.

Texas is probably the most gun friendly state I ever lived in, and when I wanted to buy a firearm it still felt like I was applying for a mortgage. Lol

I live in Colorado and work in North Dakota. I can buy a long gun or shotgun but not a pistol without it being shipped to my home state, checked and two different stores.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.