ButtPlateFitting

Strikenmike

Greetings:

I have done very little custom work on my guns, but I am now installing a Tubb's adjustable butt plate on a traditional target stock. The plate is larger than the stock. I will be removing about 3/16 inch off the outside edge of the mounting plate. What is the best way to remove the excess aluminum and to achieve a fine polished look to the finished product? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

I've done one before. Installed it, marked it, removed it, and then used a fixed table top belt sander. I was able to sand the aluminum plate and rubber pad all a the same time. Worked good for me but wait and see what others say.

Gordon

Rough it out on the bandsaw. Then finish on the sander. That will be much faster. Both materials will clog paper so you want to take as little as possible off with the sander.

Polishing is not in my field of expertise, at least not something as soft as aluminum. Now carbide I have some experience with...

Thanks guys. I have it on, it looks pretty good, but more importantly I learned a lot going through the process. Next time will be easier. And my wife says, I refuse to ask directions. Ha!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts