Bushnell Elite 3200 2x7 or a Nikon Slughunter 1.65x5 ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting' started by adam246, Aug 20, 2010.

1. adam246

adam246 New Member

I just bought a H&R 20 ga. Ultra Slug Hunter Compact for my wife -- I had been considering some 2x7 Leupolds but after checking them out in a store, I'm now leaning away from them & towards maybe a Bushnell Elite 3200 2x7 or a Nikon Slughunter w/ BDC reticle in 1.65x5.

Any input would be great ... I have a Bushnell 3200 3x9 on my Tikka T3 .270 & I love it, Rainguard is a great & useful feature.

I've never had a Nikon scope but I've heard good things & I liked the feel of it w/ the raised "lever" to adjust the scope magnification. Also, the ballistic reticle seems to be a handy feature for a gun that should be quite accurate at a distance.
    Of course, although I bought this for my wife - I am looking forward to shooting this little bad boy too.

2. ralphstone

ralphstone New Member

I just bought a nikon slughunter scope for my H&R 12 gauge shotgun. Not sure what yardage to begin sighting in the crosshairs at. I am going to use winchester Partition gold 3" (7/8 oz.) ,385 grains witth 2000 FPS velocity. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

3. Yotekiller

Yotekiller Well-Known Member

The slughunter is a good scope for todays high performance slugs. Not many scopes have enough eye relief for shells that recoil that hard. With those shells I would recommend sighting in at 100 - 125 yards. You will be able to aim directly at your target from 0-150 yards on deer size game.

4. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

I just went though the same thing. I purchased both the Nikon and Leopold scopes. Never thought of say it but the Nikon is better. So the Nikon went on the hr and the Leopold ended on the 870. Both are very good though just like the Nikon better. You would be happy either way. Good luck