Bushnell 1500

moosehunter

Ive decided to get myself a Bushnell 1500 for X-mas. However there are several different models such as pinseeker, arc, slope etc. Could someone in the know break these down as to what is best for LR hunting and which are more suited for golf. Or does it make any diff.

Get the Bushnell Elite 1500 with Arc. It's good out to 1000 yards (on a clear day) and it has the mode to judge up/downhill. Decent piece of equipment, not top of the line but for the money it will do until you can afford a Leica.

About 4 yrs ago I was breaking into long range hunting. The range finders I had purchased were the Bushnell 1500 and they didn't work all that well for me by the time I was getting out past 500 yrds. I had to get readings off of large dense trees at that point and it took several tryies to get a reading from 700 yrds away. Come winter when most of the leaves had fallen I couldn't get a range past 400 yrds to save my life. It wasn't the batteries because I had changed those, in fact did it often because I thought that might be the case and I made sure the glass was clean. They severly limited my enjoyment and my improvement to the point that I was determind to get a good set no matter what I had to pay for them. I was going to make sure that for 1k or more mony I didn't have the same frustrations, so I did a lot of checking and listend to a lot of coments about all range finders from those who shot long distance. (Found lots of informative literature and a lot of praises for the Bushnell's and others of the same class but those peaples idea of long range was not what mine was). Narrowed it down to two, Lieca or Sworvarski (parden the spelling of those ) and from what I had learnd about the two, either one was sure to solve my problems. I chose the Sworvarski just because they were a little cheaper but impressed with them I am. I can range a large rock, cow, small bush, cactus, dead tree, or anything from 1000 to 1100 yrds, most allways the first try considering you keep the range finders steady. I use my bushnells now for bow hunting. Nothing against Bushnell but they're not stored in my longrange bag no matter what distance they say they are good for.

I recently got a Bushnell 1500 ARC for an elk hunt. I had no problem ranging inanimate objects in the mountains out to about 850 yds but very rare returns past that. However, out on the open plains ranging antelope I was limited to about 600 yds or usually less.

I am not displeased given what I paid for it. However, my 300WM can still out-shoot my rangefinder which is annoying, especially if I were on an antelope hunt.

If you can afford a Leica or Swaro, go for it. I could not so I paid a fraction of the price to get a decent but not great Bushnell. Don't expect the same results from a $300 vs a $1000+ rangefinder!

Well my wife begged me not to get a rangefinder for myself. As she is a total sweetheart and my aimis to please her I thought her request was strange but I did as asked and didnt buy one. Her reason became apparent x-mas morning when there was a Bushnell 1500ARC under the tree. She had already bought one for me when she heard me speak on getting one.
Now get this. On a sunny day this unit ranged tree lines of pine past 1600yds. It took several attempts on a buffalo into the setting sun to get a reading of 944yds. Later in the week my buddy and his Leica 1200 with a fresh battery went out to play. The Leica wouldnt range a building past 1500yds and the Bushnell would do it to 1700 and some change. The Leica wouldnt range a tree line past 1350yds. Aiming at black cows and horsed the Bushnell would range quickly and dependably to 944yds. Not 945. When the animal took one more step the unit couldnt get a reading. The Leica lost rangeing ability on the same animal just past 800yds. The Bushnell would range leafless willow patches just 1K and the Leica wouldnt touch them after 600yds. Optics on the Leica are a tad better for sure but the Bushnell is plenty clear and bright. Hopefully Bushnell has improved on the unit and this one isnt just a mid week machine. Iknow Im sure pleased with it.

I noticed with my 1500 arc, that humidity seems to play a role in it's ability to range. In WI it's no better than my Lieca 800. At 12,000 feet with no humidity I was able to range some objects to 1200 yards, and 1000 yards objects very consistantly.

I know first hand that the quality varies on the bushnell 1500.I bought a new one on e bay,and a week after I recieved the rangefinder I got another one from the same sender(by mistake).So I notified the guy,and told him about the mistake,so he said just send one of them back,and he thanked me for being honest and not just keeping the other one.Before I sent one back,I took them both outside and tested them with the same battery,and one outperformed the other by a great deal.One would easily range a tree from 800yds.,the other would not range it after several attempts,the better one would also range a house from 1300 yds.,the other would not.Needless to say,I kept the better one!

I well have to agree with this mine hasnt worked from day one very well at all . Looking for a leica or a swarovski . must of been built on a friday !!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.