Bushing die question

bschneiderheinze

I have a hornady 6br full length bushing die set. I have been using it for several month and been reloading for around to years. This is my first experience with bushing dies honestly I ordered them by accident. Here is the problem I can grab a fired piece of brass and chamber it in either one of our rifles me and my son have the action barrel and setup the brass goes in easy and bolt goes down with little to no resistance. When I size the brass and put it in the rifle I get resistance like what you wouldn't get when neck sizing brass and being on the verge of needing to body size. I am using hornady spray lube I have cleaned the die and my next step is stainless steel tumbling the brass and retrying. I don't think this resistance would be enough for me that I would even notice it in a match situation but my son is only 13 and 80lbs soaking wet. I've tried the die at all different levels thinking maybe could just catch the neck. This was new brass that I sized and then loaded so it's on its 2nd loading. I've loaded over 500 rounds withs these dies and lapua brass and haven't had this problem. I've ordered a Redding full length sizer but I'm afraid it will change neck tension and throw off my dope for the match I have this weekend. Any suggestions.

Dont have hornady dies, but I would assume this would apply...
Have you tried without the expander?Remove expander, Measure the brass, size it, measure again, if you're getting the desired neck tension, just ditch the expander.

The new brass was probably smaller than the demensions of the FL die.

Have you checked shoulder bump on the fired and resized brass? A bushing die doesn't Size the whole neck even with full contact of the shell plate. You should have just enough play in the die to hear it barely click when you shake it.

There's a good chance the Redding die will have a .266-.267 neck.

Dont have hornady dies, but I would assume this would apply...
Have you tried without the expander?Remove expander, Measure the brass, size it, measure again, if you're getting the desired neck tension, just ditch the expander.
After re reading OP, not sure my response actually makes sense, but what the heck

Good deal. Makes sense. I had two Redding shell holders that varied .020"

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.