Burris xtr scopes

speedkills

Would appreciate any input on the quality of Burris's line of tactical XTR scopes.

Don't see a lot about them on this site and maybe there is a reason. I can afford a 1K scope a lot easier than 2K plus. Thanks! Jerry

There is a thread in the optics section, High price optics. I always bought new but am getting pushed by poor economy towards used.There are some great buys on this site and SWFA sample list. I looked at a nice USO 3.2X17X44 FOR $1700. wISH LIST. I have a 66.5-20x50 Burris,it is in the shop right now. It has super small allens that lock the turret at zero. I was very carefull, but my zero was higher on turret and screws went under turret top, now I have to buy a $40 turret. I like scope and b plex and glass for price, but the turrets are junk, I wll not buy another, Bushnel are far better,I think almost any one is.

... I have a 66.5-20x50 Burris,it is in the shop right now. It has super small allens that lock the turret at zero. I was very carefull, but my zero was higher on turret and screws went under turret top, now I have to buy a $40 turret. I like scope and b plex and glass for price, but the turrets are junk, I wll not buy another, Bushnel are far better,I think almost any one is.

I'm puzzled. The XTR is a 6-24x50. Is that what you meant?

XTRs have a Forever Warranty. Yet Burris still charged you to replace the turret? What did they say about the design (which sounds flawed to me)?

I have one, and I like it. Used to have 2, but a buddy wanted one so bad I sold it !
Glass on par with all the other top end mfg's. And Burris is great to deal with.

I'm puzzled. The XTR is a 6-24x50. Is that what you meant?

XTRs have a Forever Warranty. Yet Burris still charged you to replace the turret? What did they say about the design (which sounds flawed to me)?
Sorry it is a Fullfield II Tactical, w/bplex. Has covered tact II KNOBS, that are delicate to set zero and on the mushy side 6.5-20 x50. Glass is ok and if you stay w/ plex ok. If you go past one turn the Knob doesnt end up on full clicks so you next rotation is ALL off

I have two Black Diamonds which are very similar to the XTR. The glass on them is excellent! I just have normal hunter knobs on my BD's, but I can dial my shots by counting clicks and it's always repeated just fine.

My one serious complaint with the Black Diamond is that the side focus knob turns to easily and will actually rotate on its own and after 4 or 5 shots it needs to be readjusted. Looking at pictures of the XTR it appears the side focus knob is "beefier" and I hope that it would require a little more effort to turn to help it stay in place from shot to shot. I really don't think you could go wrong with the XTR and the Ballistic Mil Dot reticle is awesome for 2-600 yard quick shots.

I evaluated the XTR 4-16x50 when I was at SHOT. I found the glare performance was good. The zoom ring seemed very easy to turn - almost too easy. I can't imagine that being an issue. Keep in mind the display models at SHOT get a lot of handling.

All in all a nice scope and a good value.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.