burn rate & barrle

cva54

Ok here is what I got. A rem 721 30.06 had barrle cut & recrowned it now is 20" I started out with IMR4350 no good then BL-C(2) thats works perty good. Then I tryed IMR4064 its not to good. So the rifle dont like slow burring powder does sound right to all U guys?

Burn rate is a relitive thing, 4064, etc, are not 'slow' except for light weight bullets.

Peak pressure occurs within a few inches of bullet travel, much less than 6", so a 'short' barrel only has an effect of reducing top speeds. The barrel length really has no effect on what powder will give best results.

If by best results, Boomtube means accuracy, I agree. Typically powders that worked best for the longer barrel will work best for the shortened barrel. You may have to tweak the load a bit because your dwell time is different.

Ok I got it. Went back to the BL-C(2) and pick up were I left off. Grabed the 1 factory load that I still had got the ogive off it. Shooting sub MOA now. Cant wait to biuld my coyote round LOL thanks guys

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.