Bumpstocks banned

cohunt

Well, the Trump administration/ATF quietly banned ALL bumpstock style stocks 2 days ago.
I did not hear anything on the news about it at all, the owner of my local pawn shop mentioned it to me yesterday.
I googled it, and sure enough its true.

The ATF has changed its mind and decided that any device that changes a semi auto rifle into a device that fires like a full auto has been now determined to be classified as a "machine gun", since you are not allowed to own a machine gun built since 1985 that means that all bump stock devices are now (overnight) considered machine guns and if you own one you are automatically committing a felony. The ATF had declared if you own one you have 90 days to turn it in with no penalty to an ATF office or destroy it. They claim they will persure those people who refuse to comply.

From the ATF website :
Screenshot_20181220-053519_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I could see a legal challenge to this, as even with a bump stock the trigger is being pulled each time for every individual round fired.
I don't think there will be a serious challenge, reading the tea leaves I think even the NRA is staying quiet but I could be wrong

Would you guys help me out here? I do not own a AR nor have I ever handled them. what is the purpose of the bump stock, and what benifit is it of the Shooter to own one? What practical application would a bump stock be used for?

Would you guys help me out here? I do not own a AR nor have I ever handled them. what is the purpose of the bump stock, and what benifit is it of the Shooter to own one? What practical application would a bump stock be used for?

It's a work around for full auto. It doesn't count as full auto, though, since you are technically pulling the trigger for each fired. The bump stock makes the weapon bounce between your shoulder and trigger finger creating characteristics of automatic fire. We had a similar principle when we played paintball where you "feather" the trigger to get full auto fire. It's just a piece of equipment that enables you to pull the trigger faster.

There is no real purpose for it other than a novelty. If you truly beleive in the second amendment it can be looked at as a way to level the playing field since the government has fully auto weapons, so we should too.

Practical application, in all seriousness, is to have full auto fire while you cover your buddy as he moves. Basic infantry tactics against your enemy.

I could see a legal challenge to this, as even with a bump stock the trigger is being pulled each time for every individual round fired.

I believe the original law
Reads that anything that mimics a fully automatic firearm is illegal. Obama legalized this to set us all up down the road. Well guess what? It's down the road now.

You ever do anything just because it is fun?
Well put. This argument is always left out. The most important reason for owning firearms is personal and national defense. The vast majority of my time spent with firearms is for fun. Kinda like owning a fast car. I think they would like to take those away too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.