Bumped shoulder too far

For my own peace of mind I sacrificed one to see if they had been stretching all along. I know you can do the paper clip thing but I had to see.

I am using a Hornady comparator and I reset my die to bump .002. Hopefully I'll have 28 more pieces (lol) after I shoot these. If not, as far as lessons go 29 pieces of brass is pretty cheap. Thanks again all!

Attachments

• 4B7B7392-A473-409A-960F-95F15E5878F2.jpeg
    4B7B7392-A473-409A-960F-95F15E5878F2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
  • 451E2950-5011-4BF3-8FDE-9A9519C3350B.jpeg
    451E2950-5011-4BF3-8FDE-9A9519C3350B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 192
  • 9F5B22BB-B6D3-4D65-A6CF-1F03B37056B9.jpeg
    9F5B22BB-B6D3-4D65-A6CF-1F03B37056B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 200
This is probably late, but , I would do like I do to form new brass to my chamber(s). False shoulder and COW it. Then anneal, ( you may want to anneal before false shoulder and COW). I can do all that at home, no trips to the range ( gas prices), no wasting bullets ( inflated prices).

This is probably late, but , I would do like I do to form new brass to my chamber(s). False shoulder and COW it. Then anneal, ( you may want to anneal before false shoulder and COW). I can do all that at home, no trips to the range ( gas prices), no wasting bullets ( inflated prices).
I'll be at my lease next weekend I got to have something to do between duck hunting in the morning and pig hunting in the evening. I figure this will be a good way to pass the time as long as it works!

Pull the bullets and ditch the brass.
Unless you neck them up to 338 then back to 30 cal at a false shoulder then you might save some. However you have likley fractured the case shoulders and base. I would start again.

Ok, the Hornady Lock n Load 6-27 or 627 bushing is a bullet comparator bushing. for .277 cal. You improvised, modified , overcame . How long have you been using it to measure ?
I just made it. I had never measured the actual amount of bump before yesterday. I improvised this to get a somewhat accurate idea of exactly how far I had pushed the shoulder back after figuring out that was the cause of separation.

I for one am rooting for your success! But don't think that I would bet it will work. LOL maybe you should start an opinion poll on this. Have fun be safe

Just curios, but did you decide to bump the shoulder back because the fired cases wouldn't rechamber?
No. I didn't realize I was bumping them any further than I had in the past when I was doing it. I hadn't loaded for this gun in quite a while. I think last time I had used the dies was 2016. I really don't shoot this gun much and it's my only 30-06ai. I must have messed with something at some point to change where I had it set and didn't double check when I resized the cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.