Bullets

Ok so what I gather here in a simple way if I use lets just say 175 - 240 gr Smk in my 30-378 this would be a good hunting round for deer..or maybe even elk or are bergers better suited??lightbulb

Hi guys! I haven't been on for a while but I'm glad to see that bullets are still a hot topic. The original Berger target bullet has the THIN jacket and is the same identical bullet as the now HUNTING bullet. (I know this for a fact because I asked the folks at Berger). As some of you already know, I have done a lot of bullet testing on Sierras, Bergers as well as my own. The Sierras are often used for long range hunting because they are accurate and have a fairly high B.C. but they do not expand at as low a velocity as the Bergers. The Bergers will usually penetrate a few inches and then grenade which often causes rapid death. The Sierras are more likely to pencil through unless velocity is higher which kind of defeats the long range purpose IMO. The bergers will also pencil through at somewhere around 2100-2200' depending on what they hit.......Rich

@ elkoholic.. I always see reviews on what these bullets do at long range, what do these bullets do at close range on big game???? I ve seen some people say there to soft of a bullet, blow up on the shoulder at close range kinda stuff. All the videos I seen from berger/ best of the west arealways at 600yrd plus ,never really showing anybody the in the field test at llets say 50yrds.. I'm sure they work,but some claim they would fail.

Both the Sierras and the Bergers will grenade at high velocity but that is not to say they can't be effective. On elk sized animals I wouldn't recommend a shoulder shot at close range, but rather behind the shoulder. At long range, penetration is not a problem and I personally feel that a shoulder shot is good to initiate expansion at the lower velocities. A point worth mentioning is that NO bullet will act exactly the same every time because of the varying resistance encountered. Hope this helps......Rich

Hello Kevin Thomas!!!!!!!!

Please comment on the Core composition, Jacket thickness variations between the various SMK's etc as compared to the Gamekings so these good folks can make their own decisions:)......

Fro example the 155 Palma and the 210 SMK do not necessarily have the same jacket taper or thickness.

Kevin can expand a little on this if he feels compelled. Sorry Kevin if this puts you in a tough spot but the SMK's work great for me on targets and animals if you know what conditions to use them in.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.